Folk boat

misty56

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

As to "What is a classic?" I am afraid that will have to wait till the paying work is out of the way......

[/ QUOTE ]

I said I'd come back to this. It is of course one of the most interesting and thought-provoking questions, though frequently swept under the carpet for fear of upsetting someone.

Well, I thought about it a bit last night and had a look over some stuff I've already written on this.

There are a number of criteria that can qualify a boat, plane, motorcycle, for that matter guitar, as a classic. Not all classics satisfy them all, but they all satisfy some.

1 Design. The design has to have striking visual appeal as well as being functional and exploiting the benefits of the chosen materials and manufacturing methods to the maximum possible. It must both look fantastic and deliver the goods (in terms of the era it comes from) in other words.

2 Construction. This has to be to the highest standards, respecting the limitations of the technology available at the time and the constraints of the design--(eg the Mirror dinghy is unquestionably a classic, but many are amateur built.)

3 Definition of a style. When Leo Fender designed the Strat he basically stated what a certain type of electric guitars were about for over fifty years (and counting.) There are seminal designs in every discipline from yachts to planes-- who would disagree that Concorde was a classic, yet at the same time consider the workmanlike Boeing 747-- just as much a classic. The Jag E-type was a classic from the off, but so was a Routemaster bus-- generations of kids who've never seen anything other than a modern bus, still see a Routemaster when they think "bus."

4 Longevity. A classic design stands the test of time. This is one reason why we tend to equate "classic" with "old," though this is actually a false assumption. I am certain that the Blackberry that is now telling me I have five minutes to finish this and then get on with something else, is a classic design. The Leica M3 was classic the day it came off the drawing board.

5 Viability. All these things are products. They have to successfully stand the test of the marketplace. Beautiful things made without reference to that, made for their own sake, fall outwith classic design and in the realm of art.

Okay the BB's bleeping so, with reference to boats-- pretty much all traditionally built wooden boats are classics, because their designs were the subject of refinement over hundreds of years, and their execution was by real craftsmen.

In GRP I personally can't see the legions of floating caravans or, for that matter, direct copies of wooden classics, as classics. In the former case they fail on account of looking (and sailing) so badly and in the latter, that would be like saying that East Asian knock-offs of Fender Strats are classics. They ain't. Being a copy of a classic is not a qualification.

There definitely are classic GRP boats, but they are true to the design discipline and opportunities afforded by GRP, not wood.

Anyone feeling offended, please take it down the pub and drown your sorrows.

halcyon

Visit site
To end it on the Folkboat.

Went out to buy one years ago, but found a SCOD for sale, had it surveyed, and found a £10,000 bill waiting.

Looked around and found the Halcyon and fell in love with her lines, a true Buchanan yacht.

What it was made off was not of interest, it was the looks and feel of the boat, and these are mirrored in her sailing ability.

Brian

KINGFISHER 8

Visit site
I have both a GRP boat and a wooden boat ... I prefer the wooden one.
My first 'big' boat was a wooden Folkboat ... sailed like a witch but you'll need a pointed head and pointed feet! ... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FlamingoWivenhoe

Visit site
Just to carry it on...I'd like to second the Stella suggestion. A strong racing class, very helpful, dedicated association and the boat sails wonderfully! But.. don't buy one that needs lots of work like I did. It takes so much time, money and effort which again is fine if you intend to keep the boat for at least ten years - that way she will pay you back with some of the finest sailing as well as a pretty looks that all will admire. The simple rule is: Buy a good one and the 'fitting out' can be enjoyable, buy one that needs lots of work and it will be a long uphill. Good luck

misty56

Visit site
Agreed about Stellas-- nice boats.

Anyone else notice this thread is now 897 views and counting? Guess we musta hit a topic of interest.....

Visit site
I know were there is a wooden one for sale,the owners retired from sailing,but she needs lots of work to get her shipshape(the boat that is)if anyone is interested PM me.

misty56

Visit site
Dat's de one.

The thing is, you've got to air these big questions from time to time, even thought they have inevitably been done before. (Not helped by the fact that the ybw search engine never seems to work.) Unlike other, similar forums, this one does not insist on wooden boats, but classic boats. That is a very interesting and extremely subjective term and one that I am always interested in hearing other people's definition of.

MasterofHera

Visit site
Just got back from "Hera" the ciber sailors are havin a great time throwin the rattles about again ...at least Hera is on the water........luv wood ....luv boats of all sorts .........if you want controversey go to the lounge..only polite peeps needed here

Visit site
Hi misty,just been for the first sail of the season in my shoebox, average speed 5.5knts not bad for a box,eh. Passed a few AWB`s on the way back also. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Niander

Visit site
If you want perfection - then it will cost an arm & a leg. If you are happy to own a leaky but pretty bucket that might sink one day (60's eastern Europe glue)

Omg im gunna sink!....ill salute You as i go down....must get these ribs fixed!..btw.

ValleyForge

Visit site
Oops sorry Niander, forgot you had one ! Had that drummed into me by the old boys at Shepherds here, who used to make similar carvel FB's in the 50's & 60's (that cost twice as much ..)

I guess if you want to do a jester & cross the Atlantic a few times you might want to get a few tubes of glue, just in case, but for a bit of local pottering just slap some paint on light the pipe & sup the amber nectar. Bit of clean salt water keeps the bilges sweet anyway. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

alec

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Tell me, what kind of fantasy world do you occupy? You know nothing about me and you proceed to insult me with offensive ad-hominem abuse and presumptions about me and how I live my life, based on nothing more than your own prejudices.

Pay attention to the following: you have lost the argument when you resort to personal smears.

And that is the end of that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry that you feel like this. I based my response on your previous choice of words and general conduct toward others, it is the only conclusion that I personally can genuinely arrive at.

All I am saying is that you fit in to an accepted sterotype ( based on your own words in this thread) that I have personally experienced. I did try to explain that this was a theory, but surely something must account for the aggression and unpleasantness you chose to use for no good reason.

If my theoretical reasons are wrong, which they appear to be, I would genuinely like to know what makes you behave in this way and the reasons for it.

I genuinely wish to know.