Folding Props

G

I am in the process of ordering a new 38 footer. I am interested in any views / experiences on the various types of folding etc props. I have a copy of the article on the subject in a well known sailing mag but would like to hear user views

thanks......Pete

G

Peter, sorry this is a bit late. I bought a Warrior40 just over two years ago and fitted the three bladed Volvo folding (or is it feathering) prop. During a trial sail with an owner in Plymouth I experienced the Volvo prop and the owner thought it very good. I then sailed on a fixed prop Warrior in the Solent and I think I detected a difference - but of course it is very difficult to tell. On my boat I fitted the Volvo prop and I know there is a sailing difference between folded and not-folded. Performance under engine seems about the same. I reckon the folding prop gives a sailing improvement of around 10-15% to my boat. Not much difference tooling around the Solent but very worthwhile across the Channel or further.

G

i have fitted 2-blade folders (flexofold from cjr) to my cat and am very impressed. they put out lots of shove but most importantly they work fine in reverse giving instant response. i can crash stop from 9 knots in less than the boat's length.