Folding prop - what size?

Ric

Visit site
My boat currently has a two-blade fixed Volvo 16x8 prop. I intend to fit a Volvo two-blade folding prop. Should I assume that a folder should be of the same diameter and pitch?

If I play around with Propcalc software, I am given suggested results of around 16x13, which seems very high pitch to me.

Tranona

Visit site
16*13 is a bit large, but depends on the reduction ratio. That is the size that I had on my 2030 saidrive with a 2.6 reduction.

Anyway, don't take any chances. Get your supplier to recommend a size. If he can't (or won't) change your supplier. If it is not right it is then up to the supplier to change it. Any of the reputable suppliers will have enough experience to know what works.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
16*13 is a bit large, but depends on the reduction ratio. That is the size that I had on my 2030 saidrive with a 2.6 reduction.

Anyway, don't take any chances. Get your supplier to recommend a size. If he can't (or won't) change your supplier. If it is not right it is then up to the supplier to change it. Any of the reputable suppliers will have enough experience to know what works.
I agree 100% - let the supplier take responsibility. They will want to know all the details of the boat, engine, gearbox etc - and then if they get it wrong - they have to supply the correct size.