Foil boarding in Hampton Court area.

Minerva

Visit site
Are you suggesting that there should be some form of derogation for these personal watercarft that would allow them to exceed the speed limit, often by significant amounts ?

Ah, but I see you live a few thousand miles away from the problem.
I understand these speed limits are in place predominantly for erosion purposes from wash same as canals. No wash = no problem.

In short & in principle, yes.

westernman

www.devalk.nl
I understand these speed limits are in place predominantly for erosion purposes from wash same as canals. No wash = no problem.

There is of course precedent for regularly exceeding the speed limit.

A rowing eight will do up to 12 knots. And they have a very sharp point and none of them are looking where they a going apart from the small guy in the back who can't see anything anyway.

Time Out

Visit site
When I’m not pootling up and down the Thames the day job is in the Superyacht Sector where these are hugely popular.

In the wrong hands they can cause some horrific injuries. They are essentially a blade cutting through the water !!

Wash aside there is no place for these on the Thames especially with other users and of course wildlife.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
One of these things collided with a paddleboarder recently. Everyone was laughing afterwards but its not funny.

There is a speed limit on the River for a reason. Never mind the wash it is basically hazardous to be traveling that fast. I don't care if the idiots on the foil boards injure themselves but if they injure my kids when they are out in a canoe they are going to get a world of pain.

Zero tolerance for speeding regardless of type of craft.

It is a green light to idiots. Enforce, deal with and get rid of these things and do it yesterday.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site

Speed limits are also in place to avoid collisions and resulting accidents.

If one idiot is allowed to race about then all the other idiots see it and think it is a licence to speed. Loads of people have no idea of the wash their boats create. They are oblivious to it.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
So no Henley Royal Regatta, no rowing clubs on the Thames.

A rowing eight can hold an average speed of 20kmh. Vs the speed limit of 8kmh.

OK so lets have the foil boards registered with special dispensation, laws around their use and coaching teams keeping an eye on them.

And racing. Foil board racing would be a joy to watch. So quiet compared with Henley twat rowers.

I'm not at all sure why you are comparing foil boards with a sport activity which has been going on on the River for centuries and is well regulated.

Maybe out of devilment and a hate of rowers.

I hate rowing (the type which one does with the wife).

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
I just thought all craft on Thames needed insurance but maybe I’m wrong?

Nobody with a foil board is going to be remotely bothered about insurance or craft registration. It doesn't matter. You use the thing while the battery lasts then you disappear. No Identification nothing. You hit a swimmer or someone else and injure them you just go away and nobody will ever find you.

Same with electric scooters. Accidents with no comeback. Recipe for problems.

The EA do need to be onto this or serious problems will turn up.

To be fair the EA are hardly onto anything so it will probably just continue until a nasty accident happens then people will start moaning about it.

I'd take them out with the torpedoes but have some issues with the heaters.

oldgit

Visit site
Would not be too concerned about any collision by a foil with other craft both large small at least some sort of structure around the vessel.
However did observe several swimmers this year without any form of flotation bouy to warn other river users of their presence.
This could be a definite problem if and when the two meet?

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Hitting a paddleboard with one of those things could result in injury to both parties. I don't think it would be ideal to collide. Anything bigger like a cruiser and the rider of the board is in trouble if they hit something hard with their head. I think they wear helmets. Who else on the River do you see wearing helmets other than kayaks in weirs where there are no other users.

Its the momentum of the body which I think would be a danger rather than the propeller which is shrouded with a nozzle on most of these things.

They are too fast, unregistered and with no name = trouble.

oldgit

Visit site
Hitting a paddleboard with one of those things could result in injury to both parties. I don't think it would be ideal to collide. Anything bigger like a cruiser and the rider of the board is in trouble if they hit something hard with their head. I think they wear helmets. Who else on the River do you see wearing helmets other than kayaks in weirs where there are no other users.

Its the momentum of the body which I think would be a danger rather than the propeller which is shrouded with a nozzle on most of these things.

They are too fast, unregistered and with no name = trouble.
Appreciate that argument.
However a 10 ft paddle board is at least large enough to been seen from some distance away and avoided , a swimmers head on the other hand.
How about a restricted area in particular section of the river for them.
Like it or not we have had to learn to co exist with PWC and allow them to do their stuff on certain bits of waterways.
The river is hemorrhaging plastic cabin boats with diesels and the only real growth is canal boats, kayakers and swimmers,paddle boarders.
All in all lt's a generational thing and heading only in one direction.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
As far as I know there have never been PWC zones on the Thames above Teddington.

It is an interesting thought but there does not appear to be adequate room.

Maybe desborough cut speed limit should be derestricted. That'll clear the squatters !

Problem is that part of the object of the foil boards is to be showing off to an audience so they won't stick to allocated spaces. That won't happen.

westernman

www.devalk.nl

Not enough room?

There is room for these guys:-

cropped-img_29302.jpg

oldgit

Visit site
As far as I know there have never been PWC zones on the Thames above Teddington.

Maybe desborough cut speed limit should be derestricted. That'll clear the squatters !

Problem is that part of the object of the foil boards is to be showing off to an audience so they won't stick to allocated spaces. That won't happen.
Not much goes on at Henley for 52 weeks of the year.
Long wide stretch of empty water that could be used to generate some income for the River.
Ideal for foils and PWC unless of course they are not the right sort .🤔

Time Out

Visit site
Not much goes on at Henley for 52 weeks of the year.
Long wide stretch of empty water that could be used to generate some income for the River.
Ideal for foils and PWC unless of course they are not the right sort .🤔
Assuming you have been on the sauce ;)

There are several lakes in and around Shepperton, Henley, Reading, Oxford, etc. specifically for this purpose. The Thames however is not designed for foiling surfboards!

Last edited: