Flybridge controls

Adetheheat

Visit site
For a boat with a flybridge and an inside helm- is it possible to have two people inadvertently controlling it at the same time- one person outside on top and one inside? Stupid question I do realise - but I was thinking about badly behaved guests on board if I bought a boat with a flybridge.
Thanks

Momac

Visit site
On my boat
The throttles are only operative from one helm or the other with a electronic changeover in my case or a manual/mechanical changeover originally.
The steering has no changeover so the steering would respond to both helms at the same time

JayDomK

Visit site
On my boat
The throttles are only operative from one helm or the other with a electronic changeover in my case or a manual/mechanical changeover originally.
The steering has no changeover so the steering would respond to both helms at the same time
Do you think it would be possible to install a locking device for one of the steering wheels? I don't really know how to do it technically, but it's an interesting question.

fisherman

Visit site
My dual controls were morse cables. You could use either anytime, would you want be on the flybridge and find you hadn't switched and inadvertently didn't have control?

oldgit

Visit site
On both Bowden and electronic.
Usually
if one set is in use (ie not postioned in neutral) it should disable the other set.
Make very sure you carefully position your upstairs controls out of gear before rushing downstairs to take control below .............. when mooring up alone etc.. Ask me how I know.
Interesting departures. Dept.
With an old fashioned Bowden cable system on my P35 it was possible to start the engines downstairs when the the throttles were in the WOT position on the fly.
Fortunately all the mooring ropes were still attached to the pontoon in Ramsgate.:mad:

Last edited:

Greg2

Visit site
I am in the process of replacing the Morse system for electronic on our boat.

The Morse cables from both helms went to a common dual station change over unit that only allowed you to switch from one to the other when both were in neutral so no danger of anyone inadvertently having control from the non-active helm.

The electronic systems typically require you to press buttons to actively take control so again, no danger of someone inadvertently taking control. This is the case on the electronic/mechanical system I am installing on our boat and the full electronic system (which has four control stations) on the new build at work.

Momac

Visit site
I agree. Don't invite badly behaved adult guests on board . A boat under way is no place for bad behaviour..
Children should be under adult supervision

Momac

Visit site
Do you think it would be possible to install a locking device for one of the steering wheels? I don't really know how to do it technically, but it's an interesting question.
Not sure that would be good for the steering system. But there is no reason for it in practice.