Flotilla Recommendation Wanted

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
Think we may have an inclination for the Sporades but not sure. Anyone got any thoughts on these two options?

We've chosen the Sporades for the 1st two weeks in June and are prepared that it might be challenging since the fetch for northerly gales is quite a long way.

Mike.

Greg2

Visit site
We've chosen the Sporades for the 1st two weeks in June and are prepared that it might be challenging since the fetch for northerly gales is quite a long way.

Mike.

Apparently sailing to the south of the islands gives calm seas but good winds so maybe okay?

SarahJ

Visit site
Been sailing a couple of times on flotilla in Sporades. More sheltered on South of islands but may be one or two stormbound days. Fantastic area and so beautiful. Would recommend highly.

NormanB

Visit site
Helpful thread - we have been considering a charter in the Med this year and it has prompted us to start making plans.

Looking at the Sailing Holidays website the Ionian or the Sporades are the primary options (we have done the Saronic a few years ago).

Two week Ionian flotilla (north and south) is appealing but perhaps a bit touristy and wind not so good. Two week Sporades flotilla sounds like it is less touristy and more real Greece with the benefit of stronger winds for some good sailing.

Think we may have an inclination for the Sporades but not sure. Anyone got any thoughts on these two options?

You are right the Ionian is ‘more touristy’ and certainly July August there is real pressurise on berthing - however SH sorts that out for you.

The choice of Ionian, Sporades really depends upon your crew. In the sense that this may be their holiday and if they have not been exposed, or be tolerant of more lively conditions and if that is the case the Ionian is probably a better option. Having said that the wind can really get up in the Ionian too but ‘on average’ much less so than the Sporades.

In Sum, adventurous and hardy crew Sporades, newbies or more nervous Ionian.

jordanbasset

Visit site
Been with both Sailing Holidays and Neilson in the distant past, both were very good and helpful. As others have said they will help you into a spot and try to make sure there is room for you
Never been with Sunsail but have heard good things about them too in the Ionian from their customers, they seem especially keen to ensure kids have a good time.
Personally I would go on price and availability for the area you want

Roger52

Visit site
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Seafarer. We have used them in Greece and Turkey and were very pleased. Well presented boats and nice people to deal with.

Greg2

Visit site
Thanks for the tips re my query on Ionian v Sporades. It will be me and SWMBO and she has been exposed to the odd nautical ‘adventure’ so Sporades sounds good...... :)

[29051]

Visit site
We've done the sailing holidays Sporades trip three times now, and have booked again this year. We did the extended Saronic flotilla to Monemvasia the last two years. Both are brilliant. We had more reliable sailing winds in the Sporades and only one day stuck in port with too much wind. we had to motor quite a lot in the Saronics last year as we were covering quite large distances and there was almost no wind. I like the Sporades best as the islands are quite unspoilt and not too touristy. They were great for walking too. We took friends who had never been on a boat one year and they loved it.

Uricanejack

Visit site
I haven't checked out sailing holidays but I did look into Sunsail.
I kind of liked the idea of a pre organised itinerary of interesting places. Docks pre arranged. In town near the local pub, bar, restaurant and other attractions.
For some strange reason moorage not included. Which kind of defeats the point of getting a pre arranged itinerary.

There website was quite clear. ICC + VHF. required for a flotilla in Croatia. Not in Greece or Turkey yet but probably will be soon and Sunsail appear to require the ICC + VHF any way. And a 2nd Person with experience.

Nielson harder to figure out from website. also only gave Price Per Person. Which was annoying. It would quite possible just be 2 of us and we would want our own boat.

I don't have an ICC and cant be bothered with the embugarance involved. Stuff Croatia.
I suppose if I really wanted to I could just go get one. But there other places to sail. So If I bother I will go someplace else.

They have a sailing resume thing. Which I filled in. apparently I can go to any level 2 areas. Except Croatia. Possible Not Greece Or Turkey.

I thought it was quite funny. I live and sail and own a boat in one of the level 3 areas. Can't charter here. Doesn't matter of course, not likely to charter here.

Last edited: