Fleming 58 video

scubaman

Visit site
View attachment 67415

I take on board what you say and there maybe an element of truth with regards to some LRMY in terms of their "Achilles heel" , but look around and you will find the likes of ORY offer in fact to many the perfect med cruising yacht. Take the 700 series, the flybridge is simply enormous compared to a 70 FB planning yacht., there is space for a 15' tender to go athwartships, four or five proper sun loungers forward of the that and then a huge area under the hard top that can accommodate 10 plus the skipper and two stidds along with a big alfresco galley with full sized BBQ, fridges , ice maker, sink, prep area and storage . Under the prow of the FB is a humougous space for deck chairs, tables, inflatable slides , toys , HT ladder and space to still crawl around in. On the fordeck there is pull out sunbed and space for 4 -5 free standing chairs and table and can be optioned with sun awning , Aft deck is pretty huge too, dining for 6 - 8 and if you option the aft galley layout a full sliding window reveals a cocktail bar area and seating . When is comes to internal space , the entire main deck is open plan and can be with a touch of button enclosed away form the pilothouse for night passage, there is a good sized day head on the main deck with internal access and also access from the side deck (how many planning production boats have that ?) , the galley is as big as your home kitchen with dishwasher , trash compactor, double domestic sized sinks, huge American side by side fridge freezer , five burner gas stove, 1 1/2 size oven and loads of counter space and even an Island unit for food preparation. Saloon has seating for 7 plus two recliners, pilothouse has another settee for 5 plus skipper . External and internal real estate is a lot more than a 70 FB P hull (which is actually usually only a 65' or less hull, they just add the over hangs and hydraulic platform dims to get the bigger LOA. where as the 70 LRMY is bang on a 70' moulded hull length .

And then there is the crew space on top of the four cabins, two crew cabins, crew heads and shower and then a crew galley and a workshop which then leads on into a full walk in stand up engine room big enough to play table tennis in.

How's my sales technique? or am I fired from YBW again :)

I did say my Achilles heel -comment was a generalisation, but certainly the interior spaces of the ORY you mention are impressive. Which ORY is it exactly, the 720 Classic? I was looking at the website but couldn't positively id the correct model from your pics, probably due to to degree of customisation.

The exterior renderings of the Trident 720 look pretty nice, btw.

I have no doubt that ORY are the among the best in terms of quality and equipment, etc. and even ahead of the competition in the genre in terms of living spaces acreage. Looking at the pics on the OR website (the fly on the 720, for instance), the spaces still feel less liveable than on comparable sized med P boats IMO. And that's fine of course, designed with a different brief.

My personal experience of this type of craft is of slightly smaller ones and I fully appreciate that every boat is a compromise in one way or another, and the smaller you go, the bigger the compromise.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Why so much?

Pete you best not think about it. Its not going to happen to you! FWIW I have been told that the rebuild cost for my MAN engines would be £100k + per side. As I say best not think about it:eek:

Nautical

www.outerreefyachts.com
I did say my Achilles heel -comment was a generalisation, but certainly the interior spaces of the ORY you mention are impressive. Which ORY is it exactly, the 720 Classic? I was looking at the website but couldn't positively id the correct model from your pics, probably due to to degree of customisation.

The exterior renderings of the Trident 720 look pretty nice, btw.

I have no doubt that ORY are the among the best in terms of quality and equipment, etc. and even ahead of the competition in the genre in terms of living spaces acreage. Looking at the pics on the OR website (the fly on the 720, for instance), the spaces still feel less liveable than on comparable sized med P boats IMO. And that's fine of course, designed with a different brief.

My personal experience of this type of craft is of slightly smaller ones and I fully appreciate that every boat is a compromise in one way or another, and the smaller you go, the bigger the compromise.

If you were looking at the 720 that is a skylounge model and therefore the flybridge is significantly reduced because you have another enclosed space with sofa, desk, bridge and heads on the upper deck. If you look at the 700 attached you can see the depth of the space aft to for'd .OR-03 (2).jpgOR78074-04.jpg

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Pete you best not think about it. Its not going to happen to you! FWIW I have been told that the rebuild cost for my MAN engines would be £100k + per side. As I say best not think about it:eek:

Ha ha! Famous last words but I don't think the re-build costs for my 260hp engines are too bad. Especially when the cost is divided by three.

And I can kind of understand why yours are so expensive to re-build, being 12 cylinders and zillions of HP.

But I'd assumed those lugger engines being only 250hp would be relatively cheap to re-build.

Last edited:

scubaman

Visit site
If you were looking at the 720 that is a skylounge model and therefore the flybridge is significantly reduced because you have another enclosed space with sofa, desk, bridge and heads on the upper deck. If you look at the 700 attached you can see the depth of the space aft to for'd .View attachment 67453View attachment 67454

Thanks! That is indeed a massive amount of space!

MapisM

Visit site
If you look at the 700 attached you can see the depth of the space aft to for'd
View attachment 67454
I'm surprised to see an ORY buyer speccing teak on the f/b, I can't remember to have seen any others.
In fact, I also would rather not have it, even assuming money no object. But each to their own, of course.
Just curious: am I right in seeing no seams at the planks junctions (presumably to give the appearance of single planks along the whole length)? It's hard to tell for sure from the pic...

jfm

Visit site
I'm surprised to see an ORY buyer speccing teak on the f/b, I can't remember to have seen any others.
In fact, I also would rather not have it, even assuming money no object. But each to their own, of course.
Just curious: am I right in seeing no seams at the planks junctions (presumably to give the appearance of single planks along the whole length)? It's hard to tell for sure from the pic...
??? The planks are not full length. There are joints.

T, what are the gimballed white things in plastic bags? 4 each side. Boomtastic loudspeakers?
And why the blue decals on the crane? Custom request?
Cool boat! :D

Nautical

www.outerreefyachts.com
??? The planks are not full length. There are joints.

T, what are the gimballed white things in plastic bags? 4 each side. Boomtastic loudspeakers?
And why the blue decals on the crane? Custom request?
Cool boat! :D

Yes part of the AV system , basically the owner is mad keen musician type , he can sit in the Fighting chair (it stores up on the FB in its own special pride of place when not in use on the swim deck) with his remote mixing desk and do what ever they do with mixing desks while the party is in full swing (and he has a lot of parties !) . From memory the whole system was about $300k but he can tune each instrument in an orchestra how he likes it.

Crane was custom to match his tender and PWC.

Yep planks are jointed.

Nautical

www.outerreefyachts.com

Yes owners choice , he is a med cruiser but has a lot of guests / family he picks up in various ports throughout the season and its kinda the party deck , galley FB area is all kitted out for FB catering / drinks / cocktails / and serving.

Must be the pic quality the planks are jointed .

MapisM

Visit site
Must be the pic quality the planks are jointed.
Do you mean jointed with seams between the planks ends, or without?
Sorry if by chance the term "jointed" implies with seams, to my mind it doesn't, but I might well be wrong... :eek:
Btw, I can see the seams in the border planks surrounding the two GRP "cheeks" either side, but not in the rest of the floor.
And while we are at that, another curiosity, if I may: is the floor made with teak planks glued above plywood panels, or with single teak planks directly laid above the GRP deck?

Nautical

www.outerreefyachts.com
Do you mean jointed with seams between the planks ends, or without?
Sorry if by chance the term "jointed" implies with seams, to my mind it doesn't, but I might well be wrong... :eek:
Btw, I can see the seams in the border planks surrounding the two GRP "cheeks" either side, but not in the rest of the floor.
And while we are at that, another curiosity, if I may: is the floor made with teak planks glued above plywood panels, or with single teak planks directly laid above the GRP deck?

No thin teak on ply type of thing , we only use solid teak planks floated onto the deck . proper job , you can pane down the teak loads of times over the years and never hit the deck .

The P boat builders in general use a very thin teak almost a veneer in some cases glued down to plywood and then stuck to the deck , then use solid bullnose on areas the leading edge of steps etc to give the effect of solid teak. Looks fine until the ply starts rot or there are little ingresses of water and the whole thing starts to lift , or you need to sand the decks and discover you just sanded a bit too much and are through to the plywood and then the whole lot has to come up.

It's another reason you pay a higher price for a custom SD , laying solid teak by hand and the proper way is much more expensive than buying in sheets of 8X4 pre manufactured teak panels .

ORteak 3.jpgOR teak 2.jpgOR teak.jpg

Last edited:

jfm

Visit site
No thin teak on ply type of thing , we only use solid teak planks floated onto the deck . proper job , you can pane down the teak loads of times over the years and never hit the deck .

The P boat builders in general use a very thin teak almost a veneer in some cases glued down to plywood and then stuck to the deck , then use solid bullnose on areas the leading edge of steps etc to give the effect of solid teak. Looks fine until the ply starts rot or there are little ingresses of water and the whole thing starts to lift , or you need to sand the decks and discover you just sanded a bit too much and are through to the plywood and then the whole lot has to come up.

It's another reason you pay a higher price for a custom SD , laying solid teak by hand and the proper way is much more expensive than buying in sheets of 8X4 pre manufactured teak panels .
You're well out of date T. The P plastic builders (FairPrinSeekFerretti et al) are using solid teak for the last several years, not thin teak on ply. No doubt your planks are thicker @ maybe 12mm+ whereas those mainstreamers are at 6/8mm to save cost and weight, but even 6mm solid is far far superior to teak veneer on ply

Last edited:

Nautical

www.outerreefyachts.com
You're well out of date T. The P plastic builders (FairPrinSeekFerretti et al) are using solid teak for the last several years, not thin teak on ply. No doubt your planks are thicker @ maybe 12mm+ whereas those mainstreamers are at 6/8mm to save cost and weight, but even 6mm solid is far far superior to teak veneer on ply

Your right J, Fair/prin/squeaker et al do use solid, but the cheapo producers are still using skiny stuff on ply , you can see cus the bullnose is completely different finish and look to the decks , even the caulking is faux .

Greg2

Visit site
She looks at home I think :). Very happy to be there for our winter jobs.
20171119_151313.jpg

She does indeed! Love Southwold, the harbour and the town although it is losing some of its original charm as all the chain shops move in. We live not too far away so visit by road and sea (if/when we get another boat)

Apologies for the thread drift :)

jfm

Visit site
Your right J, Fair/prin/squeaker et al do use solid, but the cheapo producers are still using skiny stuff on ply , you can see cus the bullnose is completely different finish and look to the decks , even the caulking is faux .
The giveaway is the grain direction T. If it's a big sheet of veneered ply with cnc cut grooves for faux caulk, some margin planks will have the grain going across then not longways, urgh!