Flares and safty equipment in general

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
We have a Coastal flare pack on board which will be expiring at the end of the year. Before replacing it I wonder what others are doing. The safety equipment that we carry is as follows:

1) 6 man coastal liferaft (for storage purposes I would like to replace this with a 4 man inshore version)
2) PLB
3) Fixed DSC radio
4) Hand held (non DSC radio)
5) LJ's, etc

We don't normally venture further than a couple of miles offshore but do occasionally make the crossing to Ibiza (60 miles in open water), but even then there is normally another boat in sight. We're in Spain so don't have Coast Watch, a local Lifeboat station, etc. In the summer there are boats everywhere, in the winter, there are normally a few boats within sight up and down the coast. I have no idea if they are listening on Ch16. We never voluntarily venture out at night.

In some ways I'd rather not carry any pyrotechnics but as jrudge very aptly describe it, flares are good for attracting the attention of the man on the cliff walking his dog.

Given the above, should I be replacing my flares?

NGM

Visit site
. We're in Spain so don't have Coast Watch, a local Lifeboat station, etc. In the summer there are boats everywhere, in the winter, there are normally a few boats within sight up and down the coast. I have no idea if they are listening on Ch16.

Pete, this organisation responds to Channel 16 distress calls, worth having the phone number as well for piece of mind.

http://www.salvamentomaritimo.es/#premios_2019

petem

Pete, this organisation responds to Channel 16 distress calls, worth having the phone number as well for piece of mind.

http://www.salvamentomaritimo.es/#premios_2019

Don't worry, I have a laminated card on the dash containing their number! They're also respond via 112. Note that we are in Altea and they are in Xabia (25 miles / an hour? away). Not a lot of use if you are sinking quickly (although the water is obviously warmer in the Med than the UK)!

Incidentally, anyone know what they charge for a call out, I've heard two numbers - €1500 and €5000 (plus an hourly rate)?

Note that I'm not a worrier about these things, but sometimes just like to challenge the traditional wisdom.

Last edited:

NGM

Visit site
Don't worry, I have a laminated card on the dash containing their number! They're also respond via 118. Note that we are in Altea and they are in Xabia (25 miles / an hour? away). Not a lot of use if you are sinking quickly (although the water is obviously warmer in the Med than the UK)!

Incidentally, anyone know what they charge for a call out, I've heard two numbers - €1500 and €5000 (plus an hourly rate)?

Note that I'm not a worrier about these things, but sometimes just like to challenge the traditional wisdom.

I'm slightly guessing here, I'm sure someone else will come along with concrete answer, but I think local marinas have support boats that work in conjunction with the main organisation. You'll see the bright orange ribs, even my tiny marina has one. They'll definitely be one somewhere in the bay of Altea, so I doubt your initial emergency response will be an hour away.

NGM

Visit site
remember 112 is the general emergency number in Spain, equivalent to our 999.
You will go to an operator and need to request marine support whereas I believe 900 202 202 will go direct.

petem

I'm slightly guessing here, I'm sure someone else will come along with concrete answer, but I think local marinas have support boats that work in conjunction with the main organisation. You'll see the bright orange ribs, even my tiny marina has one. They'll definitely be one somewhere in the bay of Altea, so I doubt your initial emergency response will be an hour away.

Thanks, it could well be that Altea or Moraira have a Rib as you say.

Oddly, though, this Monterey from our marina seems to have been rescued by the Javea lifeboat (it could of course be that they were up the cost or on their way to Ibiza). Great to see our marineros towing it back into the marina and no doubt back onto its berth.

kashurst

Visit site
I no longer carry flares, nasty dangerous things. I have much the same safety kit as you describe. Went to an RNLI flare demo years ago and had a go with one. If an untrained frightened crew member got hold off one I dread to think what could happen. EPIRBs are much easier and probably more effective these days.
PS Pete can you send me your laminate card design, sounds like a very good idea