Flange

PabloPicasso

Visit site
I feel a bit dim asking this...

Looking for a new forehatch and see they are offered with, or without, a flange. None of the websites seem to say what the flange is. I've looked at Gebo, Lewmar, and a couple of others. Can someone explain in simple terms what the flange is and why I might/not need one?

VicS

Visit site
The little 5mm sticky downy bit :

8-21.jpg

Untitled-3.fw_.png

But dont Google it ... it has another ( non engineering) meaning
ShockedSmiley.png

Last edited:

PabloPicasso

Visit site
Thanks VicS. I so did not see the difference when I looked at that graphic. What's the purpose of the flange? Does it help seal against water ingress or is aesthetic?

PabloPicasso

Visit site
I wonder how easy it will be to remove the old hatch? And the new bolt holes will be in different places to. I guess I could seal the old ones with sealant?

yachtorion

Visit site
I wonder how easy it will be to remove the old hatch? And the new bolt holes will be in different places to. I guess I could seal the old ones with sealant?

I've just (this week) done this job on my Horizon...

The old hatch came off fairly easily, but took some gelcoat with it. I mixed up epoxy/silica/microbaloons and filled and faired until all was flat - filled the old screw holes with that. I discovered that the old hatch had been leaking a while and I guess must have frozen at some time - there was some damp pulverised bonding paste or foam or something between the deck and inner mouldings that I scraped out and replaced with more epoxy.

Then it was sand and fill, rinse and repeat until I had a properly clean and flat surface... the new hatch was slightly bigger, especially on the corners, so cut out with a jigsaw (ceramic tile blade) and more fairing filling.

Then I screwed the new one down with some neoprene foam between it and the deck acting as a seal.

Nothing too dificult - boat looks loads better - and it's weathertight at last!

Last edited: