Flaking "paint" on Volvo saildrive prop

Longshanks

Visit site
There seems to be a black paint under the AF coating on the prop and some of this is coming off exposing the Aluminium surface which in turn has a powdery white oxide coating. I don't know how these props come as new...is this an original (black) paint or something a previous owner has applied? Clearly I need to strip it off and re-coat, but what with?

tom52

Visit site
My Volvo aluminium prop came with a black plastic coat. It started to crack and come off after about seven years. This was just after I got the boat.
Took it all off, etch primed then painted with keel primer and finished off with antifoul suitable for aluminium outdrives.
I remove the antifoull each year touch up paint and re antifoul. Never been a problem

trapezeartist

www.littlehotels.co.uk
My original fixed-blade Volvo prop has a black coating on it. I think it would be doing it a disservice to call it "paint" as it is a seriously good coating. However nothing lasts forever and it sounds like yours is starting to give up. I suppose you'll have to go with whatever is the accepted surface treatment of aluminium props (whatever that is).

jordanbasset

Visit site
My original fixed-blade Volvo prop has a black coating on it. I think it would be doing it a disservice to call it "paint" as it is a seriously good coating. However nothing lasts forever and it sounds like yours is starting to give up. I suppose you'll have to go with whatever is the accepted surface treatment of aluminium props (whatever that is).

Same as mine, 8 years old and still like new. Unfortunately cannot say the same for the coating on the saildrive leg, but you can't win them all :)