Flag Paints Anti-Fouling any good?

dylanwinter

www.keepturningleft.co.uk
Searching the internet i came across flag paints. Any good?

cheap and cheerful

I have used it quite a bit over the years

but being a sit on the bottom sort of guy then a quick whip around with a brush when she is aground just takes a few minutes a couple of times a year.

last year I bought the stuff from tool station

You can see two months solent growth here

but she was being kept on a drying mooring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJtVVgRr0Ac

the same single coat got us around scotland

here she was when she came out in August

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlAP7CIuUOw

VicS

Visit site
Searching the internet i came across flag paints. Any good?

Trouble is no forumite will have done proper scientifically controlled tests to asses the effectiveness or compared it with other products.

If I had taken photos every autumn when the boat was hauled out I would have been able to post pictures of a barnacle encrusted bottom to show how useless UNO is and equally ( at the same location and mooring) photos of a barnacle free bottom to show how effective it is!

Anecdotal evidence is useless!

theotter

Visit site
Thanks to a great sales pitch by my local chandler I am giving Flag a go this year. It had a good write up from Practical Boat Owner! One warning....their Light Blue is in reality much closer to Navy Blue when applied, so if you value your present colour scheme have a good check first.

Appledore

Visit site
Thanks to a great sales pitch by my local chandler I am giving Flag a go this year. It had a good write up from Practical Boat Owner! One warning....their Light Blue is in reality much closer to Navy Blue when applied, so if you value your present colour scheme have a good check first.

I've used Flag (from Tool Station, but they don't stock it now!!) for 3 or 4 years. Usually just some river slime and a few barnacles at lift-out.

Some years ago YM conducted tests on 10 antifouling paints at Cargreen on the Tamar, and Flag and one other came out as the top paints in that area. I've used more expensive ones previously and had bad fouling. But it will depend on the water quality in your own area.

Oh yes, I can confirm flag Light Blue is much darker!!

Last edited:

Mudisox

Visit site
Have used it always, having bought up loads of dented tins way back from Screwfix. Not a problem in Portland and Brittany / Normandy but I like to a scrub off at least once a season and also spend some time in fresher water over the year.Only slime, no barnacles. Use the darkest colour as it is easier to put lots more nasty stuff in it than white.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Trouble is no forumite will have done proper scientifically controlled tests to assess the effectiveness or compared it with other products.

That's true, cannot claim scientific control, but I have used the boat in pretty much exactly the same way for the same length of time, in the Mediterranean for the past ten years. Throughout this time I have used a different antifouling almost every season, including International Micron and Cruiser, EU45, Plastimo, Flag, local Greek stuff, local French stuff and a couple of others that I have forgotten. There has not been an enormous difference between any of them, Micron and Plastimo probably the best. I found Flag to be very light on pigment, looking quite striped before launching. Once in the water this evened out, not that it mattered, and the A/F performed well. I used it for a second year with similar results.

Quandary

Visit site
I have used Flag (rebadged by Gaelforce) for three years now. The boat spends more than half the season in peaty fresh water. It is effective in this situation but I support the comments on pigment. The colour I use is navy blue and it is that colour when applied but turns to an even light blue when in the water for a week or two. The Shogun I used before held its colour.

Fimacca

Visit site
I pretty much decided it was all pretty similar. It was more important when I had a drying mooring. the barnacles were worse then as you would expect. I now have a deep water mooring. It seemed to make no difference what I paid, so I keep to 30-40 quid per tin of whatever is on offer. Maybe the longer it lies in the shop the more toxic witches brew it becomes -or not !!!! Nautical is fairly new - seems to work. cheaper arm of International ?
Go Girly - just pick a nice colour and a nice dry day!

johnwest

Visit site
Last year after Jotun decided that the boatyard that does my antifouling wasn't "professional" I bought Flag from Toolstation. Lifted last week for a quick jetwash to find slime only, so quite impressed bearing in mind the price. Bought from Seamark Nunn this year and quick delivery and reasonable price. Will lift and antifoul, as usual, in the summer.
Portsmouth Harbour by the way.

j