Flag Etiquette again...

G

I know this subject has been done to death in these forums, but here's a situation that hasn't been covered yet.

Boat is 34' cutter rig with port/sbd flag halyards to the lower spreaders plus to the masthead. It is British registered Part I, with 33/64ths owned by my (British) wife and balance by me (Canadian, long time UK resident). This is because under Part I, majority shareholders must be British Subjects. (This leads to interesting debates when disagreement on board, but that's another story!). We fly the red ensign from the stern. We have small flags/burgees for our memberships in RNLI, Cruising Association and our local sailing club. We sail mostly UK waters with annual visits to France, etc

My question: In addition to above flags, is it proper for me to fly a small Canadian courtesy flag on basis that I am co-owner on board? If so, what is the proper location and order for all these dusters? When we join a rally that has flags for each year attended, where do they go with this lot? What do I do, for example, when I have a Swiss guest on board (I have a Swiss courtesy flag)?

My guess is: CA, local club and RNLI from stbd spreader (in that order), with Canadian flag from port spreader. When foreign, I would fly local flag (eg France) and below it, when required, yellow Q flag from sbrd spreader above the membership flags. If guest on board, fly his natioanl flag from port spreader, but only one flag (ie take down Canadian flag), in order to avoid national priority question.

BTW, am I overdressed?

G

Yeah....

...and my next question, once I've sorted the basics out, is: Can I still fly a windsock from the masthead? If so, is there any restriction on design/pattern or size? If not, how can I use this halyard? It must be there for some purpose.

G

You must fly only the Red Ensign from your stern if the ship is British registered. What you fly from the starboard halyard is only important if you are going into for example a French port - The French courtesy flag comes at the top (superior) The Canadian flag must fly beneath it. If you were in British waters it would not matter if the Canadian Flag was flying on the Starboard halyard. The flying of flags is only relevant in the countries to which they apply. Do not put the Canadian Ensign on the stern that is incorrect. The Swiss flag is rarely seen at sea in any circumstances but I think could be flown on either side of the mast.