Flag Alpha at night

peterb

Visit site
No problem. Colregs rule 27(d) gives the night signal for underwater operations as the normal power vessel lights for a vessel of her size, plus red-white-red all-round lights in a vertical line, plus two vertical greens on the safe side to pass and two vertical reds on the dangerous side (i.e. the same lights as a dredger).

But then 27(e)(i) says that if the size of vessel makes it impractical to show those lights, then it should show just the red-white-red in a vertical line. And, 27(e)(ii) also gives the day signal for a small diving vessel; not just flag 'A', but a rigid replica of flag 'A' not less than 1 metre in height.

Incidentally, if your query arises from Current News 264, the question wasn't raised at a RATS meeting, or the same answer would have been given there.

alant

Visit site
probably lights showing the vessel is "restricted in her ability to manouver" with maybe additional lights indicating "engaged in dredging or underwater operations"

Boatman

Visit site
An interesting discussion with divers of the PADI ilk discovered that there are a number of issues with "I Have a diver down" the PADI flag is not internationally recognised yet many divers didn't know flag Alpha.

How can this situation have come about? And I certainly only recently learned of the PADI flag

ianwright

Home: Peterborough, Mooring, Heybridge Basin
Visit site
PADI,,,,,,,?that must be since my time, I never was big on acronyms, I had trouble with SCUBA, nasty Americanism,,,,, Bear with me, I trained under a CPO Clearance diver,worked in hand pumped Seibe Gorman Standard dress before we had Aquadine and Ratcliffe hats and my Saturation Cert is number 13,,,,,,, :)