fixing a cleat to the mast????

G

I wish to fit a clam cleat onto my mast . What is the best way of securing it to the mast , pop rivets or self tapping screws. any advice would be very welcome.

steveh

Visit site
I used Ssainless steel pop rivets and have had no problem.
Best to use some jointing compound such as "Duralac" to stop corrosion.

ChrisJ

Visit site
Pop rivets.
Anything else is likely to set up a reaction (stainless steel + aluminium + salt water).
After 3 years, poprivets are almost as easy to get out as totally fixed self tappers - you just drill out the centre.

If you can get to the back of the cleat (e.g. with a nut set into blue tack on the end of a long, thin batten), then a nut and bolt can be used - but you should put something around the bolt to prevent the reaction.

Cheers, Chris

G

Without details of mast size, cleat size and location, and forces on it, I agree with previous postings that pop riveting should suffice. If you have running rigging inside the mast behind the cleat (eg a halyard), using screws could leave a sharp point causing wear and rapid failure of a critical component. Look at other boats of similar size and follow their example, and inspect the fixing from time to time to ensure it has not loosened or begun corroding. Bad pop rivets, if caught early, can easily be replace. Screws that pull out require bigger and bigger replacements.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by edward on Wed Jun 27 09:06:28 2001 (server time).</FONT></P>