Fitting LED replacement for fluorescent tube

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I've just received from boatlamps.co.uk an LED replacement for the 10" fluorescent tube in my galley. Excellent service from them as ever, but they forgot to send me the fitting instructions referred to in

Retro fitting LED tubes to existing fittings enable the disconnection of the energy wasting and often noisy ballast contained in existing fluorescent fixtures. A simple wiring modification to existing fittings is required. This DIY operation is easily undertaken by most boat owners. Full instructions are issued with the lamp.

Can anyone who has done this job let me know what it involves? I'm rung Adrian @ Boatlamps and left a message, but as I am about to head off into the wild west it would be nice to get it done before I leave and while I am still next to a car full of tools ...

NormanS

Visit site
I've done it a couple of times, using the instructions. Basically, you just discard all the ballast gubbins, and connect a +ve and -ve. You'll get a much brighter light.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
All moot anyway, as I am returning the lamp. It's an insert-and-twist design with the pins mounted across the plane of the LEDS, so in my Labcraft fitting I could either have them shining in my face or into the cupboard behind the galley, but not onto the work surface. Curses. It looks really nice, too, but I just can't use it.

NormanS

Visit site
Mine were from Bedazzled. No complaints except that they seemed expensive, but I've no idea what boatlamps charges.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
I simply replaced all internal electronics with stich on strips of led's of whatever colour I wish some times with combination of colours each colour with a separate switch

Tim Good

Visit site
Likely jumble has sorted this but this might help:

10982199_10153382668853162_8503281634008914817_n.jpg

Step 1: Disconnect power to fixture
Step 2: Remove original bulb
Step 3: Remove cover to locate wiring and ballast
Step 4: Confirm switch is located separately from ballast
Step 5: Cut the six (6) wires as close to the ballast as possible
Step 6: Connect Ground wire to either Wire 1 or 2 as shown
Step 7: Connect Switch wire to either Wire 3 or 4 as shown
NOTE: It makes no difference if you choose to connect the Ground wire to Wire 3 or 4 instead, if they are more convenient. If you do so, just be sure to connect the Switch wire to either 1 or 2.
Step 8: You may remove the two (2) unused wires going to the end sockets (the are no longer used)
Step 9: You may remove ballast if you prefer Step 10: Insert LED tube (there is no polarity) Step 11: Test lamp with power and re-assemble

Tim Good

Visit site
Mine were from Bedazzled. No complaints except that they seemed expensive, but I've no idea what boatlamps charges.

I bought 1 from boatlamps (£30 inc vat rated at 5w)) and 1 from Bedazzled (£30inc VAT rated at 6w) and 1 from eBay (£12inc VAT rated at unknown)

They are all much of a muchness in terms of brightness and not as bright as a single fluorescent tube contrary to what Bedazzled says which is that 1 tube is as bright as 3 normal 8w tubes.

I'd be tempted to replace all with the Ebay cheap ones but they only come in cool white so at the moment I see no alternative than sticking with the fluorescent tubes.

I'd been keen to hear from you Norman as to your comparison of the Bedazzled ones compared to old fluorescent?

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
<I'd be tempted to replace all with the Ebay cheap ones but they only come in cool white so at the moment I see no alternative than sticking with the fluorescent tubes.>
I seem to remember that my strips were cool white, but the defuser/cover on the tube unit is a chalky white/cream so the cool white is modified and isn't in your face.

NormanS

Visit site
I bought 1 from boatlamps (£30 inc vat rated at 5w)) and 1 from Bedazzled (£30inc VAT rated at 6w) and 1 from eBay (£12inc VAT rated at unknown)

They are all much of a muchness in terms of brightness and not as bright as a single fluorescent tube contrary to what Bedazzled says which is that 1 tube is as bright as 3 normal 8w tubes.

I'd be tempted to replace all with the Ebay cheap ones but they only come in cool white so at the moment I see no alternative than sticking with the fluorescent tubes.

I'd been keen to hear from you Norman as to your comparison of the Bedazzled ones compared to old fluorescent?

One of the fittings that I replaced had two 8w tubes in it. I changed it to one LED conversion from Bedazzled. It is much brighter with the one LED tube than it was with the two Fluorescents. I would agree with Bedazzled's claim about brightness.

Tim Good

Visit site
One of the fittings that I replaced had two 8w tubes in it. I changed it to one LED conversion from Bedazzled. It is much brighter with the one LED tube than it was with the two Fluorescents. I would agree with Bedazzled's claim about brightness.

Hmm I must be doing something wrong. I assume you did the mod above to remove the Fluorescent light ballast?

NormanS

Visit site
Hmm I must be doing something wrong. I assume you did the mod above to remove the Fluorescent light ballast?

Yes. I did the mod that you show above. The saloon had two main light fittings, - each with two 8w tubes. I converted one, and seldom use the other, but it does mean that I have an actual comparison of the brightness of two x 8w, and one x LED.

I also converted one in the galley, which is hidden under a shelf above the sink, and it is also far brighter than before.

Tim Good

Visit site
Ok an update. I made some adjustments to the wiring and as you say, the new Bedazzled and Boatlamps LED tubes are brighter and better than 2 or 3 of the standard 8w tubes. However, for less than half the price these are just as bright:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400509439...48&var=670107329677&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I do like the Boatlamps stuff but in this case, £30 a go is just not possible when you have to replace 10 lights. I have also just seen this one which would be worth trying:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271911934756?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

fredrussell

Visit site
I wish someone did an LED replacement tube that was a lot less bright and as a result used a fraction of the wattage. One of the ones linked to above is 480 lumens. I have a 90 lumen torch that is amazingly bright - I'm not sure i feel the need for something nearly five times as bright in my cabin.