Fitting furling genoa

ghostlymoron

Visit site
My little boat has a rudimentary furling/reefing mechanism. My plan for bending on the Genoa is to put several turns of line on the drum, run the sail up the groove then pull the furling line to roll up the sail. If I measure the perpendicular distance from the leech to the luff, I am thinking that this is the amount of line that needs to be on the drum (plus a bit). Does this sound about right?

knuterikt

Visit site
No
the drum and foil have different circumference (most likely)
if there are to little or to much rope on the drum just take the sheets off and rotate.
Then put the sheets back.

Last edited:

VicS

Visit site
My little boat has a rudimentary furling/reefing mechanism. My plan for bending on the Genoa is to put several turns of line on the drum, run the sail up the groove then pull the furling line to roll up the sail. If I measure the perpendicular distance from the leech to the luff, I am thinking that this is the amount of line that needs to be on the drum (plus a bit). Does this sound about right?

With a relatively small sail I would hoist it , furl it by rotating the drum by hand, keep going until the sheets have been wrapped round the spar several times as well. Then fit the furling line.

Unfurl it and refurl it using the furling line then that can be adjusted for length.

Other threads that may be of interest