Fitting A Racor 500FG

JumboTed

Visit site
Hi all,

After a dirty diesel experience I am trying to find a solution for fitting a extra layer of protection for future. I have recently had both tanks cleaned out on my S34 with KAD 43s.

Currently each tank/engine set up is fitted with a QL decontaminator ---> Standard Pre Filter ----> Engine Filter. I am interested in fitting a Racor 500fg type filter. I like the idea of being able to see if there has been any water etc collected and the easy access to drain this off.

My preferred way of doing this would be to simply replace the QL decontaminators with the Racor 500 fg but I believe this may cause issues as the instructions say to not place it down stream of any other pre filters.

Has anyone any experience/solutions with this? Here is a photo to show. (one of the QL decontaminators is removed for cleaning)

Many thanks.

Attachments

• PXL_20210303_210424699.jpg
    PXL_20210303_210424699.jpg
    437.2 KB · Views: 53

alt

Visit site
My setup (KAD300's)..

Tank => Racor 500FG => Engine Filters => Engine

Never had an issue.

JumboTed

Visit site
Tanks were removed cut open in three places cleaned and welded up again.

So I just need to remove the old pre filter housing and connect the racor filters to the existing pipe work. Any idea where I can get new fittings to fit the racor to the existing pipework?

Plum

Visit site
Hi all,

After a dirty diesel experience I am trying to find a solution for fitting a extra layer of protection for future. I have recently had both tanks cleaned out on my S34 with KAD 43s.

Currently each tank/engine set up is fitted with a QL decontaminator ---> Standard Pre Filter ----> Engine Filter. I am interested in fitting a Racor 500fg type filter. I like the idea of being able to see if there has been any water etc collected and the easy access to drain this off.

My preferred way of doing this would be to simply replace the QL decontaminators with the Racor 500 fg but I believe this may cause issues as the instructions say to not place it down stream of any other pre filters.

Has anyone any experience/solutions with this? Here is a photo to show. (one of the QL decontaminators is removed for cleaning)

Many thanks.
I would replace the whole lot with two Racor 500s between the tanks and the engine filters. I don't see how adding another filter in series helps when the first filter has been blocked with contamination. If you realy want extra protection then you will need two Racors for each engine, arranged in parallel with changeover valves between them then if one blocks you switch to the second one while you put a new filter in the first.

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Last edited:

Bandit

Visit site
I would have Tank to Racor 500 to engine mounted filters to engine.

Its a shame when your tank was out they did not fit a sump with a stripping line or a drain.

Treat your diesel with a proprietary diesel biocide at all times.

Use 30 micron filter elements (rockstoppers) your engine has fine filters on it .

Drain any water and crud from the Racor, every once in a while lift the filter element and inspect.

Replace the rubber seal ring on your deck filler they crack or split.

Carry three or four sets of spare filter elements and small white bucket, I get mine from a decorators shop about 1,5L capacity. You cant see water and crud well in a dirty black bucket.

I have sumps about a litre in size and a stripping line and each year we strip a litre out of each tank and get about an egg cup of water out and crud. I use Grotamar 82 which unfortunately is trade only.

Last edited:

JumboTed

Visit site
Thanks for all that, I will replace both sets of filters in place of 500FGs just wondering if anyone knows what fittings I will need to connect to this crossfeed valve? it was fitted in my S34 as standard I believe.

Attachments

• cfd.jpg
    cfd.jpg
    560.7 KB · Views: 21
  • man1.jpg
    man1.jpg
    310.3 KB · Views: 23

Greg2

Visit site
Best photo I could find of the set up on our S34 - might help.
I agree with others - tank - Racor - engine filter is all that is required.

.2E5218CC-8432-48E9-AE63-5C43526FCCF9.jpeg