First Time for Everything ?

oldgit

Visit site
Helped to deliver a sub 30ft sailing boat today, no actual sailing, just using an engine too small to power a decent generator.
2.2 knots against the tide.
First time ever aboard a sailing yacht and an experience hope never ever to repeat.
Absolutely impossible to clamber forward on the boat with weeny little spaces to put your feet not cluttered with mysterious bits of rails and pulleys and a rats nest of wires and ropes in the way, presumably to stop the mast falling down.
The mooring cleats are joke more suited to a model toy and how you are supposed to moor along side anything with that peculiar hull shape is mystery .
Interior cabin more suited to a small hobbit, cockpit with insufficient room to swing very very small cat and with a tiller designed to get in the way no matter where it is put.
Assume these boats have their bad points as well. ?
No wonder most sailers sail alone, their wives refusing to aboard as soon as they got the ring on their finger.:ROFLMAO:

Momac

Visit site
Go a bit bigger to 35ft or so with wheel steering and the available space becomes better.
I am no sailor but have crewed and have taken the helm a little .Quite enjoy. The usually very modest use of diesel being a plus point.

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
If only you had pulled a few bits of that string and put the flappy things up (tip, they should not flap while actually in use) you would have encountered the main benefit of sailing, and why we do it. You can turn that bloody noisy engine off and move along quietly under wind power.

Tip #2. It is supposed to lean over a bit and it won't capsize. Get used to it.

Tip #3, plan your passage time to go with the tide.

Daydream believer

Visit site
If only you had pulled a few bits of that string and put the flappy things up (tip, they should not flap while actually in use) you would have encountered the main benefit of sailing, and why we do it. You can turn that bloody noisy engine off and move along quietly under wind power.

Tip #2. It is supposed to lean over a bit and it won't capsize. Get used to it.

Tip #3, plan your passage time to go with the tide.
Tip #4 try a campervan next time. Sounds like it would be more to the Op's liking

MADRIGAL

Visit site
Helped to deliver a sub 30ft sailing boat today, no actual sailing, just using an engine too small to power a decent generator.
First time ever aboard a sailing yacht and an experience hope never ever to repeat.
Absolutely impossible to clamber forward on the boat with weeny little spaces to put your feet not cluttered with mysterious bits of rails and pulleys and a rats nest of wires and ropes in the way, presumably to stop the mast falling down.
The mooring cleats are joke more suited to a model toy and how you are supposed to moor along side anything with that peculiar hull shape is mystery .
Interior cabin more suited to a small hobbit, cockpit with insufficient room to swing very very small cat and with a tiller designed to get in the way no matter where it is put.
No wonder most sailers sail alone, their wives refusing to aboard as soon as they got the ring on their finger.:ROFLMAO:
I suppose this is not the time to sing the praises of dinghy cruising ;)

SaltyC

Visit site
You were Lucky!!! When I was conscripted by my uncle, we were lucky if the auxiliary started!!! 3 on a 20 foot Hurley. It got worse we lost one crew and next year chartered an original Westerly 22!!! (Un) fortunately 11 year olds are not easily put off and 50 + years still going, albeit on 37 foot with luxuries like, running (pumped) water, Winches, Ovens, Heating, reliable engines and .... showers !!!!! Oh, plus roller reefing jibs, slab / in mast mains not hanked on jibs and round boom reefing. Think I must be the 'Old Git'

DownWest

Visit site
I grew up sailing and racing small (by todays standards) sailing boats. Up to 27ft. Mostly with outboard auxilaries.
Just finishing off a 17ft two berth... and I am def in the 'old' git department.
Wot you need is a bit of education on the finer (less poluting) things in life.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Things get even more complicated when the boats get bigger.

Just wait until you are confronted with a couple of these and there wee brothers.

Big Winch.jpg

78 ST FS 2 speed49kg170mm drum Ø
320mm base Ø
375mm height
16mm (min)
22mm (max)
Ratio 1 - 7:1
Ratio 2 - 26.7:1
Ratio 1 - 20.6:1
Ratio 2 - 78.4:1

NormanS

Visit site
It is possible to have the tide in your favour. I would have that that even the most entrenched stink boaters might have realized that.

Stemar

Visit site
Things get even more complicated when the boats get bigger.

Just wait until you are confronted with a couple of these and there wee brothers.

View attachment 174462

78 ST FS 2 speed49kg170mm drum Ø
320mm base Ø
375mm height
16mm (min)
22mm (max)
Ratio 1 - 7:1
Ratio 2 - 26.7:1
Ratio 1 - 20.6:1
Ratio 2 - 78.4:1
When the winches get to that size, I expect an electric motor under them

Stemar

Visit site
You will be very, very disappointed in the boat I sail with them on.
Just dreaming of my lottery win boat

My winches look more like this :)
barton-nautilus-composite-winches.jpg

Daydream believer

Visit site
Boat I sailed on once had cross linked winches. I would be winding in the genny when suddenly the winch would go light as 2 of the crew to windward would start winding on the other winch on a 2 handed handle. The winch handle would want to fly out of my hand.

oldgit

Visit site

Was egging the pudding a bit it was 2 knots. and still mystified how you can get 42" widescreen TV in there.
Just out of interest what do you do when it rains ?

:)