First day out on our MF695

wipe_out

Visit site
We collected the new MF695 on Friday least week and I have to admit pulling it was quite daunting at first when I saw how bid it was in relation to the car but after a few miles I got the hang of it.. Saturday morning up early to get the names put on and get the number plate for the trailer (which I forgot to organise).. Once all that was done we loaded everything up and attempted getting out of the driveway which wasn't too bad with my Dad and Brother making sure I was clearing the house and walls.. Made our way to Cobbs Quay for the first launch because we could really use ropes to manage getting onto and off of the trailer which seemed a good idea for the first attempt..

All went well we got off the trailer and loaded up everything.. Unfortunately with not being familiar with Cobbs Quay I missed one marker and ended up catching the outboard on the sand a bit, I quickly raised it and crept back into the channel.. It's amazing how shallow it gets to quickly.. This left some scratches on the outboard skeg and the prop but no real damage which was lucky.. We were able to pass under both as there was 3.2m hight at the Twin Sails and 2.7m at Poole bridge..

Since we were in the harbour and breaking in the engine we slowly made our way to South Deep for late lunch.. I think we may have had to much anchor chain out because we were swinging all over the place in the wind.. Probably need to get used to the rate the windlass delivers the chain..

Then we made our way back to Cobbs, again under both bridges.. Put the boat onto the trailer and gave her a spray down before heading home.. All in all a really good first day out and very happy with the boat.. Looking forward to a better day and leaving the harbour next time so we can pick the pace up a bit and see how she gets on..

Here are just a few photos that I took..

http://1drv.ms/1OheVNs

rwoofer

Visit site
Looks great.

Really interesting to see some of the detail changes over the 645. For example I never got the full cockpit seating because you had to move it to access the lazarette. They changed the hatch now, so the two things work together.

Did I spy a nozzle for a screen washer, as well?

wipe_out

Visit site
Thanks.. Really love the shape, lines and proportions of the boat..

Did I spy a nozzle for a screen washer, as well?

Yup, you certainly did.. :)
Actually very useful when you get the spray over the screen that dries white pretty quickly..

As a matter of interest what car did you use to tow ?

I am towing with a 3.0 TDI VW Touareg.. Even with a little over 2.5T on the back towing really is effortless because there is so much torque.. I didn't find I had to put the throttle down much at all even when we came to hills.. I used low range at the slipway just to make life easier and it pulled off and went up the slipway in second gear like there was nothing on the back.. I can however feel the weight pulling the back of the car down so I suspect there is too much nose weight (also indicated by the jockey wheel sinking into the tarmac driveway this morning) so maybe some tweaking to be done on the trailer setup..

rwoofer

Visit site
Thanks.. Really love the shape, lines and proportions of the boat..

Yup, you certainly did.. :)
Actually very useful when you get the spray over the screen that dries white pretty quickly..

I have to say we really like our 645, but all those little extras do make a difference. Would be interested to know whether with the bigger, heavier engine it is better in the messy chop we get in the Solent. If it made a difference, I might find it difficult to resist getting all the latest improvements.....

sprocker

Visit site
Very nice wipe-out, I'm sure you'll have lots of fun with her!

I'd be interested to hear how good your screen washers are, our MF645 didn't have them when we bought it and I was thinking about a retro-fit.

wipe_out

Visit site
I'd be interested to hear how good your screen washers are, our MF645 didn't have them when we bought it and I was thinking about a retro-fit.

Screen washers definitely work well, that I can tell you already.. Used them on Saturday when some of the sea spray had dried..

The washer bottle is in the floor of the cabin and is quite large so plenty fluid to deal with the spray..

wipe_out

Visit site
I meant to ask, did you do anything about carpets?

Haven't don't anything with adding to the boat yet.. Just ordered a front tow bar for the car because turning in the road to get into the driveway is proving to be quite a challenge, especially when there are cars waiting to get past.. Once in the driveway I pull the boat up next to the house with a winch in the garage which works like a dream..

I have the wish list though so will be adding a few bits over the next while (maybe over the winter) to make her even more awesome! :)