first day of spring; one engine only and mother dear (pics)

dom_moore

www.kiteboardercross.com
well for us in cornwall i think it was the warmest day of the year so far. mother dear had come to visit from cambs and to come out on the boat, but with the port engine starter motor needing replacement, we had to pootle about at around 8knots

we had planned to go to fowey, but will save that for another day with both engines firing. here are some more pics then, if you can bear the tedium /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif of the carrick roads and a bit further out!

leaving challenger marina and falmouth behind. have not tweaked the pic with p-shop
dsc01132di6.jpg

handing the helm over to the first mate

dsc01140lx9.jpg

up the truro river and past the king harry ferry

dsc01155ls0.jpg

anyone know any information about this boat? was quite a surprise to come round the bend and see it there

dsc01160ff9.jpg

sights like this just add to the feeling of meandering into a forgotten world..even if it is just between falmouth and truro!

dsc01168uq7.jpg

dsc01153fw0.jpg

into lovely mylor for fuel and revictual (pasties and teas!)

ximg2847re0.jpg

ximg2855vg2.jpg

back out of the roads and into the english channel...were it not for the one engine we would have like to have explored much further, the sea was quite inviting

dsc01177ov7.jpg

dsc01178eb9.jpg

we headed back and dropped anchor near to st anthony's lighthouse. there was one other boat out there with us

dsc01199ei4.jpg

a couple of shots of the boat follow...(taken from the tender)

dsc01204eg5.jpg

dsc01209uv8.jpg

then it was off to st mawes, the pick up a mooring buoy and do nothing for another couple of hours. perfect. this was one of many traditional looking boats we saw mooching about that day

dsc01221ig9.jpg

ximg2857lz8.jpg

finally leaving the mooring and rounding the st mawes headland on the way back to the marina.

dsc01218wd9.jpg

a pretty strong wind (20knots plus) suddenly kicked up from the north, quite a surprise since it was so calm all day. spray coming over the top, was a bit of excitement to round the day up

dsc01228th8.jpg

starter motor is to be replaced tomorrow...hoping to get out in the week and maybe use the boat as a kitesurfing launch. will be sure to get some pics of all that happening /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

anyway thanks for tollerating all those pics if ye did - great day on the water for us, and my close quarters handling skills are coming on nicely. managed not to bump against anything and picked up the mooring buoy first time etc... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

dom_moore

www.kiteboardercross.com
thanks for feedback guys! it was a great day for us and still glowing from it now

thanks also for info on what the large boat was - it was puzzling us all arvo

lanason - aye it was with the one engine. luckily the one that runs the power steering otherwise would have been very tough going. wouldn't have poked our nose out to see if it was rough - least we should fail the other engine!

was almost a blessing to go so slow as we didn't miss anything and saw a lot more wildlife...cormorants, buzzards, and herons...loads of coots...they didn't mind us puttering about at 3-8knots!

motayotty

Visit site
Who needs to go abroad! Interesting you say how good it was at displacement speed. Might be something in it as discussed in previous posts. Not as cold that way anyhow. Thanks for the pics. Spurred me on with the decorating so I can launch in the next fortnight. Harry Enfield might have something to say about the course with the first mate helming! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

motayotty

Visit site
Have just scanned your site and can not believe you are not a rag and stick man instead of a stinky!. I can see you dangling off the side of a 49er or on a board! Good reasons I am sure. Envy you anyhow. Have a great season. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

IDAMAY

Winter: Algarve Summer: Wherever the boat is.
Visit site
I think the ship in your 'photo is the Windsor Castle and that she may be owned by the Bamford (of JCB fame) family. Until last year she was moored next to Tamomima (or something like that) a large freighter in the same ownership. That was sent to the Far East to be broken up on a beach somewhere.

A neighbour in Mylor.

Chas25

Visit site
The ships were still up there 2 years ago!

Great pictures, hoping to get back down your way in a couple of months can't wait now /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif