Firm mattress recommendations?

duncan_m

Visit site
I've been on a bit of a journey with the mattresses in our cabin. The first one was a firm foam on that was great for the first few months but then wasn't.

Since then I changed it for the firmest pocket sprung option from Shipshape and unfortunately it's not really firm enough for me. I'm still waking up with back pain.

Hunting around online I found:
- made2measure
- flexima
- oddcompany
- marinebedding
- bed guru

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good custom mattress company in the UK that do a very firm option as I can't really afford to keep trying them all?

PlanB

Visit site
We got a custom pocket spring mattress for our aft cabin, island berth from Wizard Fabrics in 2015, and slept on it daily for three years. The firmness suited my back well and neither of us are exactly lightweight.
Wizard ceased trading and their staff moved to Langandpotter.com, who assured me that their standards are as high as Wizard.

andyc352

Visit site
Get a topper for your mattress. I had a memory foam mattress on my bed at home and it cured my bad back. Rather than going to bed with a slightly sore back and waking up in the morning unable to move, I’d wake up with a brand new back each morning. For the last 4 years as full-time liveaboard , I’ve use a latex topper as it’s cooler than memory foam. Buy the latex and cut it to shape.

Manosk

Visit site
I've been on a bit of a journey with the mattresses in our cabin. The first one was a firm foam on that was great for the first few months but then wasn't.

Since then I changed it for the firmest pocket sprung option from Shipshape and unfortunately it's not really firm enough for me. I'm still waking up with back pain.

- made2measure
- flexima
- oddcompany
- marinebedding
- bed guru

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good custom mattress company in the UK that do a very firm option as I can't really afford to keep trying them all?

- made2measure
- flexima
- oddcompany
- marinebedding
- bed guru

i vote for flexima my boat has 2 separate custom made matresses made by this Austrian company (being a centre cockpit yacht) in the aft cabin very well made and durable (almost 8 years now)

ChrisP1

N/A
Visit site
Recently, having seen a thread on these forums actually, we bought a custom built mattress for our boat from Tim Cheetham at Custom Made Boat Bedding - Marine Bedding Company He made it in 2 sections which allowed my side to be firm and the missus' side to be normal and because it was in 2 sections it was far easier to get into our cabin. I don't know whether Tim's firm mattress is firm enough for you but he has various sample mattresses in his van. In our case he brought them up to our house to try.

SaltIre

Visit site
Recently, having seen a thread on these forums actually, we bought a custom built mattress for our boat from Tim Cheetham at Custom Made Boat Bedding - Marine Bedding Company He made it in 2 sections which allowed my side to be firm and the missus' side to be normal and because it was in 2 sections it was far easier to get into our cabin. I don't know whether Tim's firm mattress is firm enough for you but he has various sample mattresses in his van. In our case he brought them up to our house to try.
Good to hear, Chris. - and welcome to the forum.
Deleted User of this parish seems to have had good service from Marine Bedding Company also. (y)
Why mess about with a topper? For a reasonable price this company will make you a custom mattress to the exact size of the bed and in a choice of firmnesses. I recently had them make a double mattress for our boat, my side firm and the SWMBO's side medium, split into 2 pieces to make it easier to get into our cabin with a zip to put it together and we are very pleased with it

Prior to that we had a really hard mattress on our boat which we ended up putting 2 toppers on to try to soften it. We put up with that for 4 years but we are so glad we changed it for a custom mattress this season

Custom Made Boat Bedding - Marine Bedding Company
In fact it seems it was the same bloke who sold you your mattress that sold Deleted User his - brought samples to his house as he did to yours! What a coincidence.:ROFLMAO:
I have no connection with the company but I just want to give a big up to Tim Cheetham and his company, Marine Bedding Co, who recently custom made a replacement mattress for our boat. Not only did Tim bring sample mattresses to our house for us to try but he made our mattress in double quick time and delivered it to our boat in France just in time for our trip to the boat which started yesterday. And all for a reasonable cost. In fact we were so impressed that we have also ordered a mattress and bedding from him for our house

Custom Made Boat Bedding - Marine Bedding Company