firearms on board

ccscott49

Visit site
Now your talking!! A couple of torpedoes aswell with proximity fuses, make mince meat of 'em. I can see it now forty yachties, blacked out crawling up the beach into a pirate village.......spare the children, if you can...................the mind boggles, but theres some around who would agree with you, utterly bonkers! tee hee.

snowleopard

Visit site
true stories

1. skipper gets out gun, hesitates before firing (he's never killed anyone before). robber grabs it and shoots him

2. boat at anchor in indonesia. in the middle of the night it's boarded by several men in balaclavas. skipper didn't have a gun. just as well, they were local fishermen come to share their catch.

if you need a gun it's going to be in coastal waters so your gun will be safely tucked up in the customs shed.

Magic_Sailor

Visit site
Re: AK47 or K9

One could be very tempted with comments about evil looking dogs on board - but I'll resist.

Excuse me........just coming dearest!

Magic

Chris_Robb

Visit site
or a couple of pineapples (grenades) disguised as pineapples - they think your are giving them a present - then drop it in their boat. - resultant explosion sinks both boats. dooh................ back to drawing board.

ccscott49

Visit site
Re: At last a reason for keeping my dog!!NM

You don't need an excuse for keeping your dog! What were you going to do, cast him out? abandon him? sell him? Oh! how could you!!!

claymore

Visit site
Re: Barking! nm

How did you do that Magic?
You must have somehow sensed that Ken would come on about Dogs and so you pre-empted his response with one about barking
Magic indeed

regards
Claymore

AndrewB

Visit site
Pepper Spray (Mace)

It is not permitted to import/carry this in many countries (including UK). So you will still not avoid hassle with customs.

tcm

Visit site
Re: make my day

Oh, its fine.

But as below, you have to be more than ready to use the gun at a moment's notice, or even without any notice whatsoever. It's no good just having one gun either: you need several to avoid having to reload. In open sea, you need to have daily practice at using the guns, aiming for consistency an accuracy as well as the spped at which you /crew can mange to get the first shots off. You'll notice that that transat crews are quite large , tho best stick to maximum three on each side when entering foreign ports. Don't wait until strangers come alonside, because then the line of sight is compromised as their boat falls too far below - the further they are away the more easily you can taget more than one boat as the subtended angle is smaller. Try to approach from open sea with the sun behind to keep the sun in their eyes. Squeeze off no more than a couple of rounds in a bay approaching harbour if another boat heads towards you, or seems to come towards you. If they're in an open boat, aim low, so they move into the line of fire.

It's an unfortunate fact of life that you may of course accidentally find yourself targetting waterskiers, occassionally taking out a helpful harbourmaster who comes out from the harbour as at Yarmouth, or even slaying the the wife and kids as they return from shopping. But that's the price of freedom and well worth it I think you'll agree.

AndrewB

Visit site
There\'s a lot in what you say.

It's got about that yachties are a very soft touch indeed. Hand over the goods without a murmur and don't inform the local authorities for fear of getting enmeshed in a load of beaurocracy. That's one reason piracy (or armed robbery) is getting more common. Look how surprised were the guys who took Peter Blake. But until a few of us start shooting back it will get much worse.

Sure, some will suffer. But appeasement rarely pays in the long run - ask Neville Chamberlain.

kgi

Visit site
If you do opt for a gunmake it a shotgun as in some countries they will impound the rifle/pistol, which is about as much good as a handbrake on a canoe, if you do go the shotgun route, you will have to purchase in france or spain, and they put the details in your passport, may i suggest if you are dead set on getting one get a franchi spas it is semi auto and pump, folding stock (28&1/4 inches long folded), eight in the magazine and one in the breech, use slugs or buckshot......keith

Jaguar

Visit site
Well, my original query related to teh issue of customs clearance for keeping weapons. But, there have been some very good points raised.

Jaguar

Visit site
Well, my original query related to teh issue of customs clearance for keeping weapons. But, there have been some very good points raised.

stubate

Visit site
and of course all our p*** taking experts

if you think you need a gun, get a short easily handled one, make sure that you are going to be able to look them in the eye and KILL them, if you hesitate or get the gun caught in something because it is too long or big, they will take it off you and kill you.
look at the famous new zealander who has recently been murdered.
i have been shot at by a drug deranged native in angola, he missed me but hit my landie. it wasnt pleasant and you get very scared and not capable of rational thought. if you havent handled guns before, dont bother
stu

Jaguar

Visit site
Re: and of course all our p*** taking experts

I have never been shot so I do not know how I would respond in a real situation at. But the best solution would seem to be an auto pistol even if it does only have a range of ten yards. What I don't know is how easy it is to get customs clearance. A mate of mine reckoned it is easy enough, either keeping one on board or temporarily handing it in to customs on arrival.

JJ

stubate

Visit site
they didnt like cold steel

and they certainly dont like large dogs, in the third world, dogs are for biting baddies and guarding the homestead, not for stroking and oochy coochy coo. they bite strangers and so a third world national is very wary of them.
a smith and wesson for longish distance and a dog to keep em at bay while you make up your mind on whether to shoot em.
stu

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site
Maybe.

Some friends were approaching Subic Bay in the Philippines in a largish Hong Kong owned yacht. A couple of bancas roared up, one on each side. Out came the owner's collection of small arms, and an atmosphere in which you could almost smell the testosterone developed on board.

Luckily, someone noticed that what the men in the boats were holding up were not submachine guns, but fish.

Sybarite

Visit site
I read somewhere of somebody who at anchorages in dodgy places systematically scattered carpet tacks on deck (and cleared them in the morning..). Most raiders in these sort of areas are barefoot. It worked on several occasions for him.

As for carrying a gun I generally agree that it is more dangerous to produce one than not to. However I think it depends where you are. There are certain areas in the world where often robbing is not enough and where some pirates are known to rape and murder as well. Often on a whim of the gang leader.

If you cannot avoid these areas altogether I personally would like to know that I had a concealed weapon somewhere which would give me that ultimate chance.

But as I believe there are other ways to get a buzz from sailing I would try to avoid the areas and not carry a gun.