Fingerprints and the new EU Entry Exit system

Status
Not open for further replies.

westernman

www.devalk.nl
All optional though, and easy enough to stop. It's also harder than you think to tie those records back to useful information at that scale reliably.
It is much easier than you think to tie those things back to useful information.
There is a lot of very sophisticated big data algorithms sifting through huge amounts of data and working out the correlations.

Secure and accurate are not the same thing. Reliably matching a passport to a human doesn't improve border security.

Indeed, and we've all been through a Balearic (or similar) control where they barely even looked up to see if it was a passport. That's why I said the old system was more pragmatic, the new one doesn't really improve things it just adds theatre and deters the low end from trying. Have you thought about why it's important that you stay 90 days and not 91? As someone who can work remotely I've given it a great deal of thought and the system makes less sense than it first seems. It all boils down to tax, of course, as all things do.
Yes. That is because they already have all the data they need. They know exactly who was on the plane and who is coming into the country.

90 days is common world wide. It is generous enough for most people and keeps people who are likely to become a burden or undesirable in some way out of the country. Those who want to stay longer, can easily apply for the visa to do so.

lustyd

Visit site
It is much easier than you think to tie those things back to useful information.
There is a lot of very sophisticated big data algorithms sifting through huge amounts of data and working out the correlations.

Yes. That is because they already have all the data they need. They know exactly who was on the plane and who is coming into the country.
Ah the nebulous “big data algorithms”. I can tell you for a fact that this data is hard to link up because I’ve done it. It’s not the processing that’s hard, that’s just expensive and sometimes expensive is not an issue. The problem is generally that the data changes over time and has no suitable key to link together. The other problem is you have to be able to show your working or the results are useless. There’s a famous case of wrongful arrest based on an IP address where the data was bad because the person doing the processing didn’t understand these things.

one example The Wrong Internet Address: Police Data Errors and Arrests

jordanbasset

Visit site
This thread has gone way off track. The OP was giving useful info about the new entry system to the EU
Better to concentrate on the practicalities of that rather than question whether the system is an infringement of civil liberties etc.

There is nothing UK citizens can do to stop a group of sovereign countries deciding how to control their borders. All we can do is decide to go or not, if we go we have to follow their rules.

This thread could be very useful in exploring how that works in practice

Mister E

Visit site
This thread has gone way off track. The OP was giving useful info about the new entry system to the EU
Better to concentrate on the practicalities of that rather than question whether the system is an infringement of civil liberties etc.

There is nothing UK citizens can do to stop a group of sovereign countries deciding how to control their borders. All we can do is decide to go or not, if we go we have to follow their rules.

This thread could be very useful in exploring how that works in practice

I totally agree.

lustyd

Visit site
The practicalities were thoroughly covered in the first post. The remaining posts were far more relevant than posts moaning about being off topic, if you're not enjoying them just unwatch the thread using the button on the top right of the page.

jordanbasset

Visit site
Well, I guess your dream of dumbing down the forum to your level has come true, I'm abandoning this thread and I've reported you. Not that it will make a difference, you clearly consider it a sport and don't care a jot for decorum.

The sad part isn't that you will remain ignorant, it's that you're also preventing others from getting useful intormation and having an informed debate.
Perhaps do what you said you were going to do in a reply to another poster and abandon this thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.