Fiberglass Deck Cleaner

ctva

Visit site
Up to now I have always used the Starbrite PTFE Nonslip Deck Cleaner but was wondering if there are any other better (cheaper) alternatives?

Trundlebug

Visit site
Just plenty of water and a cloth or scrubbing brush. Oxalic acid on any stubborn brown stains.

There are plenty of effective (and strong) chemical cleaners out there, but as well as cleaning the decks they also remove the polish from the hull sides, and probably don't do the aquatic environment any good either.

Last edited:

Momac

Visit site
I have no doubt the starbrite cleaner is very good.

For lighter duty cleaning try Stardrops = £1
Bar keepers friend power cream for stains on GRP= £2
Silky Cream Cleaner - for GRP cleaning - removes black streaks = £4
Elbow Grease - a degreasing spray but also removes black streaks = £1

All the above are economical - the Silky perhaps the most economical of all.

NBs

Visit site

Starbrite non slip deck good side also has UV protection. I have a diamond pattern roughening and it remains glossy and has a beautiful vs gelgoat that gets UV and looks matte oxidations. I have asked the same boat US debate, and they use the product Woody wax, do you have this product in the UK, US population says it is better than Starbrite.

http://www.woody-wax.com/fiberglass-non-skid-deck-wax.php

NBs

matthewriches

www.matthewriches.co.uk
Having said this is the year to do a full cut, polish and wax on the whole boat whilst it's out the water, I'll be watching this thread with interest. A few tricky bits on the flybridge was solved with oxalic acid 18 months ago so may go with that but I hear of good things about bathroom cleaner which is mildly abrasive and removes the stain instead of "bleaching" it.

Visit site
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chemical...462939?hash=item2569c75c5b:g:EcMAAOSwo0JWIQvM Been using this stuff for last few years....it started out as Caravan Black streak remover but now re-labelled for boats...you can use it neat on really stubborn stains or diluted for general cleaning, its even better than Oxalic Acid on some stains believe it or not .........not found anything yet that gets the boat cleaner than this stuff....highly recommended..

KINGFISHER 8

Visit site
Likewise.

I have tried lots and Starbrite PTEF has been the best by far. The grey non-skid on my old mid 90's Moody 38 was so hard to clean until I discovered it.

+ 1 ......... made for the job and not expensive. Why make do with various household products most of which are basic abrasive cleaners when someone makes a product for cleaning glassfibre decks which works and lasts?

NBs

Visit site

Hi,

Starbrite PTEF. How to use this detergent 100% strong or mix in water, in what proportion, do you use a spray bottle or do you have a substance in the bucket?

NBs