Fenderstep

claymore

Visit site
Page 96 of the latest YM shows a cunning little device - a fender with a step on top - what a brilliant alternative to the ladder for climbing to and from the dinghy.
£35 and more info at www.eyecochain.com
Now on Dear Hearts Birthday Prezzie list for 28/06/03

regards
Claymore

pugwash

Visit site
Re: Cheaper yet...

Unless it's pumped up really tight, it will deform slightly when madam places her fairy-like foot upon it, assuming a shape that's unlikely to roll. As well, when the middle of the foot is placed on the highest point of the fender, it has no or very little tendency to revolve. Madam just has to watch it, that's all.

Visit site
Thing that occurred to me was....

OK It's a good fender - being wide and suspended from two points.

OK it's a reasonable, stable step - because it's soft so does no damage and again it's suspended from two points.

BUT..it can't do both things at the same time! (cos if it's betwixt hull and pontoon it's too low for a step and if it's high enough for a step, it ain't doing much good as a fender! & when you move it up from fendering duties to become a step you run the risk of the hull colliding with the ally edge of the pontoon (Walcon excepted - wood)

So you have (at great expense) to choose between groin strain or gelcoat scrape!

Steve Cronin

claymore

Visit site
Re: Thing that occurred to me was....

Steve I think the intention is that you use it to step down into a dinghy or use it on a pontoon - not both for the reasons you correctly identify.
I think I'll get one as my boarding ladder is a real pain to stow and is just the wrong length so each time a bit of swell comes along when you are trying to get in or out of the dinghy - the top of the dinghy bumps it nively and it unkooks itself from over the capping rail
Again - with standard (Walcon) pontoons its not normally too high for me to get my leg over - if you'll pardon the expression

regards
Claymore

Visit site
Quite right...

Yes I can see a good few places where it would be of use. In the Med we need often to moor "bows to". The stemhead of Mary Flavin is about chest height to me standing on a quay with the front of the pulpit above head height so a nice soft step might not be a bad idea.

One damning preventative though. I'm too mean to pay that for one!

Steve Cronin

pkb

Visit site
Not sure. For a fender step to work it surely has to be placed between the bulwark and, say, the pontoon. In which case how is it functioning as a fender? Think I'll stick to my boarding ladder and leave fenders for fendering.

Peter

mikeb

Visit site
Re: Thing that occurred to me was....

I dont have one of these but know of someone who has and swears by it. You are right it doesnt do both things at once but it seems to do both very well separately - so whats the problem

mjpmjp

Visit site
Re: Fenderstep - Designers Reply

Glad to have all this feedback on this product and also pleased that at least most posters seem to like the idea…… If I might make a couple of points that may not be clear about the design.

The FenderStep has injection moulded top anchorage eyelets, these are much, much stronger than the normal eyelets found on fenders and can easily support a 25 stone gorilla. This adds significantly to cost of production, but is necessary for safety and long-life. Also the top has a non-slip surface moulded in. As pointed out FenderStep can be used either as a step or as a fender, (it can also be used as a safe toddlers garden swing seat for that matter!) but principally it is intended as a boarding step. Used in tandem it makes a short ladder and the third anchorage point can be used to position the fender when using as a stern or bow fender.

Whilst you can buy all types of ladders most, if not all, of these cannot be safely left on the boat when entering or leaving a marina. This is where Fenderstep really comes into its own as the dangerous last minute leap to or from the pontoon can be avoided. More detail on these points are at www.fenderstep.com

Malcolm Perrins

gtmoore

Visit site
This sounds like a good idea. Does anyone know where else apart from E.Y.E you might be able to buy one. The £35 is OK but I feel the £10 for delivery is a bit steep.

claymore

Visit site
The lord loves a trier

Malcolm
Thank you for that.
As the creator of this thread I would like to volunteer to free trial one and post the results to the forum
You can pm me and I'll give you my home address so that it comes to me and not one of these other buggers

Affectionately, sincerely and in total admiration of your considerable skill and foresight

regards
Claymore