Fenders - Inflating/Replacement

Golden Time

Visit site
Just been to check the boat this morning and I noticed a few of my fenders look like they are crumpled in. I think its because of the cold, it was around 0c when I was there. I also think its made worse because they might be under inflated.

I don't know how old the fenders are because they were on the boat when I got it in August, a couple look well scuffed though.

I looked on the Anchor Fender website and it says to inflate them to .15psi at 20c. So I'm going to bring the fenders from the off pontoon side home (to warm up), inflate and swap them with the pontoon side and repeat.

My question is, how often should fenders need inflating? If they are in good condition should they stay inflated 4-5 months or longer/shorter? Just trying to gauge whether I need to be looking at replacements if their not holding the air properly.

Also, I'm not sure that I can measure .15psi. In real terms, what is a properly inflated fender? I think I read somewhere that when inflated you should be able to squeeze them about 1/4 of their diameter.

Thanks in advance :)

crazy4557

Visit site
I tend to reinflate my fenders once a year as they always seem to go down gradually even when new'ish. They always go soft in the colder parts of the year. I just inflate till they feel about right...no rocket science or gauges needed.

DAKA

Visit site
Just been to check the boat this morning and I noticed a few of my fenders look like they are crumpled in. I think its because of the cold, it was around 0c when I was there. I also think its made worse because they might be under inflated.

I don't know how old the fenders are because they were on the boat when I got it in August, a couple look well scuffed though.

I looked on the Anchor Fender website and it says to inflate them to .15psi at 20c. So I'm going to bring the fenders from the off pontoon side home (to warm up), inflate and swap them with the pontoon side and repeat.

My question is, how often should fenders need inflating? If they are in good condition should they stay inflated 4-5 months or longer/shorter? Just trying to gauge whether I need to be looking at replacements if their not holding the air properly.

Also, I'm not sure that I can measure .15psi. In real terms, what is a properly inflated fender? I think I read somewhere that when inflated you should be able to squeeze them about 1/4 of their diameter.

Thanks in advance :)

just undo the caps while cold/deflated, push the inflation pin in , no need to pump, once the fender is round just plug it back up.

The fender will be solid in the summer as the temp warms and be lightly firm in the very coldest winter months.

Golden Time

Visit site
Given that I have a slight OCD towards things being even and SWMBO has a OCD towards symmetry, I now have even bigger problems. LoL.

Of the 6 tube fenders there are 2 different designs, 1 isn't the same size as the other 5.

More alarmingly, I have one white ball and one blue ball and one is bigger than the other! (and I had never noticed before).

I can see this is going to end badly for SWMBO's bank account in the spring. LoL.

I will remember that tip for next time DAKA as I have just dragged them inside the house to warm up before I read this.

EDIT:
Defo new fenders for next year, two have a hole in them and the rest I cant even get the cap off them because the plastic is disintegrating. Don't think I will even try with the other side of the boat. LoL.

Last edited:

Momac

Visit site

Golden Time

Visit site

DAKA

Visit site
EDIT:
Defo new fenders for next year, two have a hole in them and the rest I cant even get the cap off them because the plastic is disintegrating. Don't think I will even try with the other side of the boat. LoL.

leave the cap.

drill a 5mm hole in puncture or any deflated fender that you cant get to valve.
fender inflates.
leave outside in frost to cool.

put hot glue gun in hole and squirt hot glue in while upside down.
keep fender upside down.
hot glue will increase pressure in fender and start to blow glue out to form a permanent seal.

pour cold water on glue /fender to cool to stop the pressure making a hole.

small gas hole can be sealed after with a daub of hot glue from the outside .

when it gets warmer the fender will be at the correct pressure.

Golden Time

Visit site
leave the cap.

drill a 5mm hole in puncture or any deflated fender that you cant get to valve.
fender inflates.
leave outside in frost to cool.

put hot glue gun in hole and squirt hot glue in while upside down.
keep fender upside down.
hot glue will increase pressure in fender and start to blow glue out to form a permanent seal.

pour cold water on glue /fender to cool to stop the pressure making a hole.

small gas hole can be sealed after with a daub of hot glue from the outside .

when it gets warmer the fender will be at the correct pressure.

Thanks DAKA.

I will defo try that. Can't beat a DIY fix. :)