Fender: Anchor Marine - Gone Green

www.bavariayacht.info
I've got an Anchor Marine fender that is horizontal on my pontoon. It has gone green on one side, only the side in direct sunlight.

Picture shows the white-green boundary, and close up of green area:

Green-Fender_zpsdzarsmsn.png~original

Any thoughts what this might be, and how to clean it?

Fourbees

Visit site
For fenders I swear by (at?) magic sponge, aka melamine foam. Also sold as "doktor power" in places like Robert Dyas. It's very effective on fenders, and also for removing stubborn marks on gelcoat.

Fourbees

Visit site
Given that those sponges don't contain chemicals, but a paste of stone or pummice, you could probably just as easily use a very fine wet and dry???

I don't know - I'd be afraid of leaving scratches on the gelcoat. The aforementioned magic sponge is said to be melamine foam, and melamine is a sort of plastic, not stone or pumice.

Fantasie 19

Visit site
I don't know - I'd be afraid of leaving scratches on the gelcoat. The aforementioned magic sponge is said to be melamine foam, and melamine is a sort of plastic, not stone or pumice.

No idea - I just looked at the product description - don't get me wrong they sound damn good and I shall be buying one to see how it works on some old sticky tape adhesive residue

"JML Doktor Power is a safe environmentally friendly Non toxic and bio-degradable hard cleaning stone (paste) made from natural ingredients ."

VicS

Visit site
I've got an Anchor Marine fender that is horizontal on my pontoon. It has gone green on one side, only the side in direct sunlight.

Picture shows the white-green boundary, and close up of green area:

Any thoughts what this might be, and how to clean it?

Algae as suggested

Dilute domestic bleach..... will kill it then the green colour will slowly disappear.

More concentrated bleach will kill it and bleach it more-or-less straight away

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
Tried neat bleach, and the excellent HG mildew remover that I'm not allowed to link to anymore. The discolouration appears to be in the plastic.

Our fenders went the same way after being left in the aft locker one winter. Warmer and more humid than usual Scottish winter weather. I assumed it was surface mildew. However, nothing has shifted it over the last couple of years.

Lots of greyish/greenish blotches on the sides, not a lot on top or bottom. Bleach, localised scouring, acetone (small area), petrol, practically everything short of a belt sander. They appear to be permanent marks and not just on the surface.

Spots on your fender are denser, ours are more spaced out. Otherwise very similar, let me know if you find a magic cure (not holding breath).