Favourite stopovers in Cornwall

twinkeel

Visit site
Late June I am headed back from Ireland to Poole

Boat is 30ft, draws 4 ft and can take the ground

Happy to anchor or pick up a mooring over-night

Recommendations needed for best / most enjoyable places, particularly in Cornwall

Prefer peace and quiet and good food / pub

Also, anyone have experience of leaving a boat in Newlyn for a few days while I go to work ?

Thanks

Sandyman

Visit site

Recommendations needed for best / most enjoyable places, particularly in Cornwall

Thanks

Don't miss the Helford River then.

Tim Good

Visit site
Polperro is kinda nice and has two visitors moorings in the mouth. you can pickup both as a trot if no one else turns up for the evening.

329949_10151180191488162_754354964_o.jpg

River Yealm is lovely if you don't want to go into the Plymouth massif. Salcombe obviously is great and you can anchor in Sunny Cove out of the main tide with good holding.

PlankWalker

Visit site
A hop from Scillies, try Moushole in settled weather, anchor west of St Clements Isle. Newlyn is noisey, generators all night. Penzance, Locked in to the Basin is better for a trip home and a Railway Station nearby. Then Helford or Falmouth Yacht Haven anchorage for the Chain Locker, Cornwall doesn't have to be expensive.

Plank

ripvan1

Visit site
+1 for Penzance basin or outer as you can take the ground and take a 20 minute stroll down to Newlyn and take in Mousehole as well - nice places.

lw395

Visit site
Fowey.
Yealm.
Dart.

These are the essentials, other places if you have time.
Helford was crowded last time I was there, best visited outside private school holidays.

There a loads of places you can anchor depending on the weather, it's worth looking at Mark Fishwick's book, some of the smaller places can make a good lunch stop without adding too many miles to the trip.
Anchoring and rowing to a beach pub for lunch then getting into port for dinner suits me fine!

JohnP

Visit site
Helford very good, plenty of anchorages except in easterlies. Gorran Haven tucked close in if north westerly to westerly. Polkerris if easterly. Up Fowey River to Golant which dries to hard sand. You used to be able to dry out in Polperro. I did some 15 years ago. Anchor off Cawsands in Plymouth Sound. Then you have lots on the Tamar but none close to pubs a far as I know but the may be others here who know better. Then on to Devon. Yealm, Hope Cove, Salcombe and Kingsbridge, Dartmouth, Dittisham Totnes etc., and so on.

doug748

Visit site
I agree with lw395, almost.

Fowey
Yealm

essential, I would also add:

River Fal

then:

Dartmouth or Salcombe. It would also be a shame to pass Plymouth without nipping into Cawsand Bay for lunch

You can take the rest as it comes.

philip_stevens

www.celticwebdesign.net

Also, anyone have experience of leaving a boat in Newlyn for a few days while I go to work ?

Thanks

Not so much "favourite" stop-overs, but places you could go to if you want a rest.

There is Padstow with a lock-in harbour, and Saint Ives, where you can anchor off or dry out in the harbour on visitor moorings.

If you need to run for shelter, there is Hayle, but you would want local knowledge to get in as the river and bar keep moving. (I can see it 5 mins from my place).

As previously noted, Penzance Wet Dock if you need to leave the boat for any length of time. My boat will be going into the Wet Dock when she goes into the water next week, until I take her around to Falmouth in May.

Visit site
Padstow on your way down. For some reason I cant explain, I really like Penzance. Prefer Falmouth to the Helford and the Yealm is little more than an NCP for boats with an unhelpful HM. Newlyn is a dump. Dried out in Mousehole against the wall before now.

Contest1

Visit site
Have a look at http://www.threepointfix.co.uk/ lots of Westcountry mooring and anchorage locations

Looks like another great site for passage planning/port hopping. I use inyourfootsteps here in Ireland.
Read a briliant article on North Cornwall, Boscastle and other nearby harbours.
Put it on my list of stopovers fo the Scillies this autum, all being well.
Also plan to visit Mousehole, was there on foot many years ago, fabulous place.

Last edited: