Favourite boats I haven't tried

dancrane

Visit site
I'd like this to be a thread where contributors describe designs that they particularly admire (within affordable realms), but haven't stepped aboard.

Then, owners or persons with personal experience of those vessels can confirm or shatter the basis for their admiration, and cast light on less obvious downsides of the boats we view only with approval.

Best if people who haven't been aboard the designs in question, suppress their doubts or dislikes...that approach is no less subjective than wistful dreaming.

Personally I love the 3-berth Vancouver 27. Dependable long keel and sturdy rig, cosy cabin, proper chart table and pilot berth, decent headroom and a separate loo/storeroom in the bows. I reckon I could happily spend a wet winter week on board at a mooring, without leaving the cabin...then point her over the western horizon. Have I overlooked some tiresome downside?

49329965256_0170a8575d_c.jpg

Anybody care to name their real-world dream-boat, and say why?

Poignard

Visit site
I'd like this to be a thread where contributors describe designs that they particularly admire (within affordable realms), but haven't stepped aboard.

Then, owners or persons with personal experience of those vessels can confirm or shatter the basis for their admiration, and cast light on less obvious downsides of the boats we view only with approval.

Best if people who haven't been aboard the designs in question, suppress their doubts or dislikes...that approach is no less subjective than wistful dreaming.

Personally I love the 3-berth Vancouver 27. Dependable long keel and sturdy rig, cosy cabin, proper chart table and pilot berth, decent headroom and a separate loo/storeroom in the bows. I reckon I could happily spend a wet winter week on board at a mooring, without leaving the cabin...then point her over the western horizon. Have I overlooked some tiresome downside?

49329965256_0170a8575d_c.jpg

Anybody care to name their real-world dream-boat, and say why?
I honestly can't think of a yacht I would rather have than my Twister, unless it was a Twister that could be steered astern.

Wansworth

Visit site
The other boat which is more affordable is the westerly nomad,I like the egg like shape and it has a jaunty air about it,probably sails like a pig,still would sit on the hard way whilst in the pub!

Bajansailor

Visit site
Thank you Dan for starting this thread - I can see enormous potential here for all kinds of lovely boats to emerge from personal dreams.

Re the Vancouver 27, I know that there are a few owners on here (I think one is Babylon?). I have been on board (but not sailed) a couple - one had arrived here in one of the early ARC Rallies from the Canaries with three young lads on board, who were all happily on speaking terms when they got here, so she must be a good boat!
With a few more shekels, you could also look at the Vancouver 32 - some pals sailed theirs to Greece 20 years ago, and they still have her there.

I have always had a soft spot for Chuck Paine's designs (including the Victoria 34 - I did my YM Practical on one).
In particular his Expannie - which has never been built, but which looks very nice. I'll attach a few jpegs of her.
Poignard, she could almost be a slightly larger Twister?
I love how he has introduced some balance on the transom hung rudder, by having some side profile area forward of the pivot point.
More about her on Chuck Paine's webpage -
36′ Offshore Voyager EXPANNIE – Chuck Paine Yacht Design LLC

Wansworth, I agree with you absolutely re Nic 43's - have never been on board one, but I often used to see Hunza on Poole Town Quay 25 odd years ago when I lived there. She had a beautiful varnished cold moulded solid sprayhood that did not detract from her appearance at all.
More info about them - I see that Hunza lives in the Canaries now.
Camper Nicholson 43
Nicholson 43
SailboatData.com - NICHOLSON 43 Sailboat

And there is a Westerly Nomad here in Barbados - although she was converted into a fishing boat some years ago. They removed the rig, kept the stubby bilge keels, and put a 115 hp outboard motor (2 stroke rather than 4 stroke thankfully - less weight) on a bracket on the transom. I don't think it was a success.....

If I could build a sailing boat without worrying about the cost, I think I would build another Stormy Weather, designed by Olin Stephens 80 odd years ago, but with the hull cold moulded or strip planked rather than traditional carvel construction.
Here are a few photos of Stormy on Marinetraffic - she now lives very happily in Antibes. I knew her 25 - 30 years ago, and sailed on her a lot back then.
https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:194457/vessel:STORMY WEATHER
And her current website -
Stormy Weather - Yacht - Lines
And her previous owner's website -
Marine, nautical, yachting and sailing PageExpannie 3-D view.jpgExpannie lines plan.jpgExpannie side view.jpg

Seajet

Visit site
Dan,

I've always felt via observation of them under way that the Vancouver 27 suffers from too much weight and wetted area drag - it's true my opinion of them was not helped by an encounter with a spectacularly unfriendly snobby owner of one at Itchenor visitors moorings years ago; I suspect the slightly larger versions were invented for a reason. I once test sailed a Victoria 30 and she was absolutely lovely, quite rapid too; I was lucky enough to meet Chuck Paine at an Earls Court boat show, he was very friendly and helpful, explaining if I got a Victoria 30 hull and deck ( possible then ) one can put the bulkheads wherever one likes, position isn't critical.

fredrussell

Visit site
Well I’m going to be predictable and say a She 36. Was there ever a more attractive boat? I pass one regularly moored on the Orwell. A sailor’s boat if ever there was one. She 31 a close second - if I didn’t have a thing about lift keel boats the 31 is probably what I’d go for, purely on grounds of lesser running costs.

Seajet

Visit site
fredrussell, can't argue with that !

The She 36 has been a dream boat of mine for a long time - I know someone here has one - another, ' Lorelei ' did extremely well in the 1979 Fastnet picking up survivors from lesser boats.

There's a painting of her doing this at Redcliffe YC near Wareham with an inscription by her owner

" I knew she'd never let me down "

Last edited:

Wansworth

Visit site
Thank you Dan for starting this thread - I can see enormous potential here for all kinds of lovely boats to emerge from personal dreams.

Re the Vancouver 27, I know that there are a few owners on here (I think one is Babylon?). I have been on board (but not sailed) a couple - one had arrived here in one of the early ARC Rallies from the Canaries with three young lads on board, who were all happily on speaking terms when they got here, so she must be a good boat!
With a few more shekels, you could also look at the Vancouver 32 - some pals sailed theirs to Greece 20 years ago, and they still have her there.

I have always had a soft spot for Chuck Paine's designs (including the Victoria 34 - I did my YM Practical on one).
In particular his Expannie - which has never been built, but which looks very nice. I'll attach a few jpegs of her.
Poignard, she could almost be a slightly larger Twister?
I love how he has introduced some balance on the transom hung rudder, by having some side profile area forward of the pivot point.
More about her on Chuck Paine's webpage -
36′ Offshore Voyager EXPANNIE – Chuck Paine Yacht Design LLC

Wansworth, I agree with you absolutely re Nic 43's - have never been on board one, but I often used to see Hunza on Poole Town Quay 25 odd years ago when I lived there. She had a beautiful varnished cold moulded solid sprayhood that did not detract from her appearance at all.
More info about them - I see that Hunza lives in the Canaries now.
Camper Nicholson 43
Nicholson 43
SailboatData.com - NICHOLSON 43 Sailboat

And there is a Westerly Nomad here in Barbados - although she was converted into a fishing boat some years ago. They removed the rig, kept the stubby bilge keels, and put a 115 hp outboard motor (2 stroke rather than 4 stroke thankfully - less weight) on a bracket on the transom. I don't think it was a success.....

If I could build a sailing boat without worrying about the cost, I think I would build another Stormy Weather, designed by Olin Stephens 80 odd years ago, but with the hull cold moulded or strip planked rather than traditional carvel construction.
Here are a few photos of Stormy on Marinetraffic - she now lives very happily in Antibes. I knew her 25 - 30 years ago, and sailed on her a lot back then.
https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:194457/vessel:STORMY WEATHER
And her current website -
Stormy Weather - Yacht - Lines
And her previous owner's website -
Marine, nautical, yachting and sailing PageView attachment 83199View attachment 83200View attachment 83201
Looking casually on the net there don’t seem to be any Nomads about these days......everyone downsizing!

John_Silver

allatseawithstargazer.blogspot.com
Often wonder whether the Mystery 35 might be 'the best of all worlds,' provided that maximum internal volume isn't your priority.

Traditional looks, and presumably sea keeping qualities, combined with modern (low) maintenance and efficient underwater appendages (as in handles in reverse under engine and gets going, under sail, in 8 knots of breeze).....

Anyone know the reality?

jwilson

Visit site
I have a separate list of boats I thought I'd love but disappointed when I actually sailed one. The first was in dinghy crusing days when I longed for a Drascome Lugger - till I sailed one.

jwilson

Visit site
fredrussell, can't argue with that !

The She 36 has been a dream boat of mine for a long time - I know someone here has one - another, ' Lorelei ' did extremely well in the 1979 Fastnet picking up survivors from lesser boats.

There's a painting of her doing this at Redcliffe YC near Wareham with an inscription by her owner

" I knew she'd never let me down "
The She 36 is genuinely something special - I have sailed one. Not sure quite why but it's just right, sweet handling, well mannered and quite fast too as well as very seaworthy.

Wansworth

Visit site
In my youth I worked briefly at DavidHillyards and helped build a 12tonner probably the last gasp of wooden boatbuilding to produce wooden yachts on a semi production line in so much as there where patterns for planking,main timbers and deck house making construction faster.My first day involved commissioning a 9 tonner all sparkling varnished wood still smelling of Stockholm tar and enamel,everything new and shines,but I never got to sail in one.

wombat88

Visit site
I've been on various boats from Cheoy Lee and Wing On Shing, all lovely but...the one I would love to try is the Rhodes Reliant. I haven't seen one for years.