Faulty Bukh Temperature Sender?

Little Dorrit

Visit site
When these go rogue do they tend to ground at a lower temperature than normal? I have an alarm when the engine warms up. There appears to be a 'normal' water discharge and although I haven't checked the water temperature the engine head is not excessively warm when the alarm goes off. I was wondering if anybody has any insights into telltale signs if the sender is faulty as opposed to a more serious problem? I have recently changed the exhaust elbow and replaced the impellor.

Rhylsailer99

Visit site
Is it the 2 prong one or the original bukh sender . You could place it in a pan of water and check the temp as it heats up then make sure youbget a closed circuit at around 70deg I think it goes off.

Rhylsailer99

Visit site
Also check the thermostat is not stuck and clean out the therostat housing cap and block .if you need a replacement I know the one to buy as I replaced mine a month or so ago.

RivalRedwing

Visit site
When these go rogue do they tend to ground at a lower temperature than normal? I have an alarm when the engine warms up. There appears to be a 'normal' water discharge and although I haven't checked the water temperature the engine head is not excessively warm when the alarm goes off. I was wondering if anybody has any insights into telltale signs if the sender is faulty as opposed to a more serious problem? I have recently changed the exhaust elbow and replaced the impellor.
check the pipe feeding water into the block - it can become blocked. Water flow is not diminshed, it just all goes around the bypass. The blockge can be subtle and out of sight around the u bend. A piece of monel wire can be effective in clearing it.

Thread on its removal here: Raw cooled Bukh DV24 salt crystals on engine block

Rhylsailer99

Visit site
I ran barnacle buster for 8 hours through the block and the water flow improved 10x at the end of the flush. I removed the thermostat and pinched the bypass pipe and used a bilge pump to push the fluid through the block.

Mort

Visit site
Not sure which Bukh you have, but if its not the sender and temp appears ok, , check on this forum about faulty temp alarm and the fix for it, common issue, especially with DV20's