Fastnet race

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
My brothers boss wants to know how to get onto the fastnet race
at this moment all i can think of is

BOSS (i think them and some of the sailing schools enter but in only know of Boss so any names would be good)
Challenge Business
Crew Seekers (I donot think he has the time to trawl through this tho and wants are more guaranteed way.)

i am assuming money is not an option as he works for a city law firm
and i amtold he has lots of sailing experience.

anyone else any ideas??

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>I can't walk on water, but I do run on Guinness</font color=red>

qsiv

Visit site
if he looks at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.cowesweek2.co.uk/web/code/php/main.php?section=home&map=cw03&style=std&ui=pandora>the Cowes Week web site</A> there is a section in the Forums (on the top menu bar) listing people looking for crew. Although this is cowes week - there are some references to the Fastnet as well.

Alternatively - the RORC run a crew register - I know owners have to be members to use it, but I'm not sure that crews do have to be they are at<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rorc.org>http://www.rorc.org</A>

He will need to find a boat that has a core of experienced and 'qualified' (in terms of mileage on the boat) as 50% of the crew have to have raced 350 or so miles offshore on the boat that is being entered - there are also quotas for sea survival attendees and medic (first aid) trained people. Either of these quals would add to his desirability rating.

I was hoping to enter but I suspect that pressures within the family will preclude it for this year - but I am already plannng next years racing, with a view to the subsequent Fastnet and Santander

<hr width=100% size=1>

jhr

jamesrichardsonconsultants.co.uk
Five Star Sailing also enter a boat or boats in the Fastnet. Their website's <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.yachting.org.uk/>here</A>.

I think that they may insist on a run up programme, though he may be OK if he has offshore sailing experience. Either way, it might be worth talking to them.

I presume that if he works for a City law firm, he will be looking to charge them for the pleasure of his company on board, rather than vice versa? ;o)

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site
Re: run-up races

Yes. Brother did fastnet with BOSS, and you can't just put your name down or hand over loot, you have to do several races beforehand.

Oh, and also it was bang crashity carshity all the time and he never did it again. but another guy on same trip then did rtw BT challenges, so diffrent strokes.

<hr width=100% size=1>

sailbadthesinner

Visit site

i think basically if you pay you are, sort of, unskilled ballast
they will grab you off the rail every now and then to change a sail.

i have to say i much more enjoyed you recent racing type.
ala shall we have the champagne now?

bang crashity crashity *snigger*

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>I can't walk on water, but I do run on Guinness</font color=red>

tcm

Visit site

Not sure about them wanting unskilled ballast. Bro had to do ropey bits and the vhf etc etc like preecy (only hopefully better)

Also, it was a dry boat. That means that they don't allow alcohol. No, I'm not kidding! Honest!

<hr width=100% size=1>

beancounter

Visit site
don't know where your brothers boss is located, but East Anglian Sea School do a Fastnet package - race training, North Sea races x 2, weekend race/training to move their boats to Cowes, then the Fastnet - for £2250.

<hr width=100% size=1>

qsiv

Visit site

<<dry boat>>

Pleased to hear it. Apart from the excess weight on a racing boat, there are no circumstances where alchohol has any place on a race boat. It is of course the job of the shore crew to meet the boat at the pontoon with appropriate quantities of chilled drinks.

<hr width=100% size=1>

jhr

jamesrichardsonconsultants.co.uk
Being serious for a moment

...I have to agree.

I went sailing a couple of times, including a Round the Island race, with a one man band sailing school run by a guy called John Franks. His rule was no booze on board and I always thought it very sensible, particularly when you're skippering a crew who have never sailed together before and who are unknown to you.

There were 2 exceptions to this rule:

1. Medicinal brandy in the 1st Aid kit;
2. John's "2 Guinness casserole" to be eaten in port. 1 bottle of Guinness for the stew, and the other to drink in the Pub while you were waiting.....

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site
Re: Fastnet race: how to win

There are various strategies that might be employed. I thought I knew many of these - but I have recently been introduced to a far better method by highly qualified YM. The secret is simple and incredibly successful - simply set off a week early! He'll easily thrash the rest of them, and the judges won't mind either. Especially if the others were trying rather hard, practising a bit or being fusspots about picky details like waiting for the starting gun.

Hope this helps

<hr width=100% size=1>

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
Re: Being serious for a moment

oh yes agree
that was only reason i did the a trip round fastnet to cork with challenge
i regarded it as a chance to visit a sort of floating betty ford clinic
as it was we got stormbound in flamouth then ended up in dartmouth and my liver was never the same.

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
Re: Fastnet race: how to win

i would question the week early.
I thought you set off as soon as you see other boat looks like it is starting to get ready.
so maybe after their first practice session which may be upto a month before.

oddball

Visit site
Hello, dont know if it has been mentioned bt the EASS - East Anglian Sea School Tel. (+44) 01473 659992 I belive have a few places.....just mention MARTIN the Stink Pot

<hr width=100% size=1>