Fastnet copyright!

TrevB

Visit site
That would explain it.

I was about to come on here and ask if anyone knew why, when I started the race this morning, the route was around Fastnet but when I came to log on this afternoon on my laptop, it had changed to Skokholm and Tintagel??? But on my main PC - the one on which I started the race - the original course is still displayed :confused:

Spyro

Visit site
That would explain it.

I was about to come on here and ask if anyone knew why, when I started the race this morning, the route was around Fastnet but when I came to log on this afternoon on my laptop, it had changed to Skokholm and Tintagel??? But on my main PC - the one on which I started the race - the original course is still displayed :confused:

refresh your browser or delete your temp internet files.

Spyro

Visit site
somebody seems to consider the fastnet race as copyrighted, and have thus stopped some Virtual fastnet races being run
am i alone thinking this is corporate power gone totally out of control?

There is talk on the chat of going for the rock anyway, anyone else up for this?

pendlecats

Visit site
I thought there would be a comment on here, I think its mad, I have just got an e-mail.

Quote:-
Dear skipper extraordinaire,

Due to legal threats we are changing the course in the ongoing Cowes-Plymouth Challenge. Please reload your browser to see the new course!

We are sorry for this late change, and hope that you will understand our difficult situation.

Though I don't think it was addressed to me :D

Spyro

Visit site
Latest

kalle 14:29: Folks we will close this race and move on to other battle. We fully appreciate all the support in chat, email, facebook.

Neil_Y

www.h4marine.com
info@rorc.org.uk
If you wish to make any comments.

This is the gist of the problem, roughly what was said yesterday.

The issue was that sailonline had a "virtual" Rolex Fastnet Race without any licence or consent to do so which may have been in breach of RORC's copyright and other intellectual property rights in the name and concept of the Rolex Fastnet Race.

This could also have been in breach of the rights of Rolex SA, title sponsor of the Rolex Fastnet Race in connection with the use of its name.

They do have a point, but I don't feel this would have had any impact on their or their sponsors, Sailonline was clearly not the "official" game and if anything it could have been considered to have been promoting the official race as it was another website presence that mentioned the race by name. In other words if someone who had taken part in online racing with sailonline for some time had not been aware of the fastnet they may now have become aware of it and also the sponsor, so they would then have been likely to find the official site. It is possible that some people have never heard of the fastnet and yet they still enjoy online sailing games.

sarabande

Visit site
I'm sure that there are commercial drivers behind this apparently absurd decision.

There have been Fastnet races from a number of clubs in S Ireland for many years too.

I object to idea of a pompous watch maker (if true) trying to own the race.

Having done three Fastnets in national teams, I believe it belongs to the sailing community at large.