Fastnet 2019

Muddy32

Visit site
First Fastnet since 1965 and 1975.

Never again.

Not the conditions, which were wet and not nice although we did pick up a cup, but the loos and showers at Cowes and the temporary village at Plymouth were disgusting.
What a disgrace as the showcase Regatta start and finish facilities for the UK. What do the visiting boats think of us?
The boat was cleaner and sweeter.

Race itself also a bit of a follow my leader, going round the TSS s. and easy peasy navigation with GPS and also knowing where everyone else was and what they were experiencing. Can't see a way to improve that or am I viewing to far in the past?

Stotty

Visit site
Don't know what Cowes was like as we left for the start from the Hamble, but the facilities in Plymouth were fine as far as I'm concerned - a couple of the loos were blocked early Tuesday morning when we got in, but a guy came out and sorted them within the hour. Never saw any issues with them between then and when I left Wednesday.

Shower facilities in the marina were decent enough - but to be honest, anything would have been good after 5 days in the same clothes!

Muddy32

Visit site
Don't know what Cowes was like as we left for the start from the Hamble, but the facilities in Plymouth were fine as far as I'm concerned - a couple of the loos were blocked early Tuesday morning when we got in, but a guy came out and sorted them within the hour. Never saw any issues with them between then and when I left Wednesday. Shower facilities in the marina were decent enough - but to be honest, anything would have been good after 5 days in the same clothes!

Agree that about anything being better than the wet smelly clothes, for 4/5 days at Plymouth with stinking loos and showers awash. BUT at Cowes and for all the RORC events, yachthaven has ? 6 male loos and ?8 showers for 3000 sailors. There are more loos beyond the doors to the event space but the doors were locked. I still think that that it is not up to standard. Same for all RORC races though. Tip is to use RORC clubhouse, if you are a member.

Try Portland etc for a more pleasant experience.

j80

Visit site
Shower facilities in the marina were decent enough - but to be honest, anything would have been good after 5 days in the same clothes!
Agree! 4.5 days afloat meant i was grateful to use whatever facilities which were available - our boom snapped half way coming back in the Irish Sea - could not use asymmetric pole for most race etc - there is plenty I will remember about this race - long after the standard of loos at either end. As for the OP's boat being cleaner and sweeter than the facilities - could not quite say that was the case on our boat! Anyway back in work today - thrill of competing and memories of some great sailing in some tricky conditions mean that the return to the daily grind is a bit of a chore!

Last edited:

Halo

Visit site
You should have tried the facilities for the RORC Carrib 600. The club house was OK, when open, but otherwise it was a single, cold only shower, with a urinal sticking into the shower cubicle and a door which jammed shut if you closed it. Several folk, including me, had to shout for help to get out when the door was closed because not only did it jam but it had no handle on the inside. People who new the ropes all seem to have rented rooms rather than staying aboard.

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
I think Muddy has obliterated the memory of what the loos and showers were like for his earlier Fastnets. I first used the G&G 'facilities' in the late 70s - do I recall two communal showers, uneven floors, maybe three washbasins?

Stotty

Visit site
Agree! 4.5 days afloat meant i was grateful to use whatever facilities which were available - our boom snapped half way coming back in the Irish Sea - could not use asymmetric pole for most race etc - there is plenty I will remember about this race - long after the standard of loos at either end. As for the OP's boat being cleaner and sweeter than the facilities - could not quite say that was the case on our boat! Anyway back in work today - thrill of competing and memories of some great sailing in some tricky conditions mean that the return to the daily grind is a bit of a chore!

Sorry to hear about the boom... around 50 boats retired, so if you managed to finish like that you should feel proud. Our boat stood up pretty well... we blew our only A sail (an old cruising chute) in a gust on Saturday, but that wasn't too much of an issue, though the bolt holding the base of the vang to the mast snapping could have been - we managed to get it back in place and lash some rope around it to hold it in place for the rest of the course. Other than that it was just a matter of holding on and 'enjoying' the ride up and down the Irish sea... down was awesome, up was a bit miserable!

The smell inside our boat when we got to Plymouth was foul - 9 blokes, wet and sweating in the same clothes for 5 days, plus the general wetness down below saw to that. I've never known our boat to be as wet below - it's normally dry as a bone.

Oh, and trick at Plymouth was to use the members showers in the marina offices - I used to ones on the top floor and they were perfect with no queue.

I left Plymouth early Wednesday to head back to Surrey, then set off to drive to Marbella Friday afternoon... 1,443 miles and 23 hours later I was in my place in Spain. Last night I had my 1st sleep in a proper bed for 9 days. It was heaven :D

Last edited:

zoidberg

Visit site
Didn't one boat, halfway back from Ireland, retire when their electrics failed? Surely there was a bit more to it than that....?

sails_02

Visit site
I thought it was great fun, similar experience to this post, spewed for 24hrs but other than that a great experience, beautiful conditions and a memorable time. A train back to London was tempting instead of the return delivery, which turned out to be great in the end.

Edit-
Other notable moments:
* Irish coastguard investigating an inflated empty life raft (VHF comms overheard)
* Imoca 60 aground near the Needles North Channel
* Aussie crewed boat retiring halfway across due to a toe-nail being removed, presumably an accident... (VHF comms overheard)

Last edited: