Fast Boat On Windermere

Lakesailor

Visit site
Just sat having my breakfast and a Sealine SC 35 trundled past on a transport wagon, coming into Bowness.

Is there any point to spending £200K on a boat that can do 34 knots for use on a 10 mile lake with an overall 10 knot speed limit?

OK. You could have the occasional blast if the Lake Patrol weren't about, but surely a semi-displacement or displacement boat would be far better as a holiday home on the lake?

Probably for less money and with less running costs.

rafiki_

Visit site
Is this the same SC35 as another forumite spotted being deliverd a couple of weeks ago, or is there a fleet arriving?

Could it be someone planning to enjoy a few months on Windemere, before moving her to the coast? Or just that someone who likes Windemere also thinks the SC 35 is the dogs danglies.

Rafiki, while being parked in the Severn is a coastal sports cruiser. We cannot exploit her performance on the river, but will be trundling down to the Bristol Channel later this season. However, she does everything we want on the river as well.

kid's inheritance

Visit site
There are some hundreds of boats on Windermere that can excede the 10 knot rule including our boat.Some of us are moving them to the coast but in the meantime enjoy being on a floating cottage with fantastic scenery, good social scene,ability to raft up in secluded bays and (allegedly) have a blast after 5 o'clock.Reference one of the comments above , a friend has just had delivered a new Sealine fly (the one that won the best under 50 foot-the F43 I think ) is going to move it to the coast soon and will be called "Mutz Nutz"!
Regards
rob

rafiki_

Visit site
So what happens to these huge & expensive engines if they are only ever used to charge the batteries or pootle around under 10kts? It doesn't seem like a good way to treat them to me.

Don't think it really hurts them, as long as they are properly serviced. Some people claim the bores can glaze. Injectors can get a bit dirty, but they soon clean out with a blast.

Lakesailor

Visit site
Apart from the engines perhaps having problems there is all that room that the extra motor and fuel bunkerage uses which would be better employed in the "floating cottage". Not having a planing hull would provide more useable space as well.
It's the same, I suppose, as buying a Lamborghini and only, ever, using in it central London.
Bit pointless really. Apart from it not looking as flash you'd enjoy the drive much more in a Bentley.

BTW, the LDNPA are trying to get the 10 knot limit reduced to 10 mph. It was a lash-up in the drawing up of the byelaw.

oldgit

Visit site
Is there any point to spending £200K on a boat that can do 34 knots for use on a 10 mile lake with an overall 10 knot speed limit?

Sounds like heaven to me,posh boat with loads of space,stunning scenery in all directions and a law to stop medallion wearing hairy chested yobbos causing vast amounts of wash and pointless noise ....Bliss :)

Firefly625

Visit site

Sounds like heaven to me,posh boat with loads of space,stunning scenery in all directions and a law to stop medallion wearing hairy chested yobbos causing vast amounts of wash and pointless noise ....Bliss :)

Nope, you wouldn't like the fluky winds..

TrueBlue

Visit site
The Thames -

is full of them,
well, that's large glistening white three storey things.
Many don't venture out (thank heavens) 'cos they are scared by the nasty rough locks and overhanging trees. Not to mention the 5mph speed limit.

Horses for courses.
Windermere for sailing
The Sea for fast powerboats
The Thames for smaller craft of all shapes and sizes
The canals for umm...

Ubergeekian

Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbri
www.drmegaphone.com
Apart from the engines perhaps having problems there is all that room that the extra motor and fuel bunkerage uses which would be better employed in the "floating cottage". Not having a planing hull would provide more useable space as well.
It's the same, I suppose, as buying a Lamborghini and only, ever, using in it central London.

Doesn't the same go for motor boats which live on the Solent and only ever go across to the Isle of Wight a few times a year. All that expense for the occasional hour each way - surely a holiday cottage would be cheaper, roomier and less worry?

IRC Kevin

www.intrescue.org
A caravan near Windermere is more expensive than a boat on the Lake and as for holiday cottages, don't even go there! I much prefer the sports cruiser design over a flybridge, as we use the cockpit as a living space all year round, which we couldn't do with a flybridge unless it was totally enclosed. Having said that, if the lottery came up it would be a Haynes or Broom with a single engine that would be sitting in our berth, as they offer the best of both worlds.
Some people find the restrictions on Windermere too limiting, we don't and and view every day not there as a wasted day, managing to spend four months of the year (when totalled up) actually on the boat. We don't even mind the speed limit (dons tin hat and waits for incoming!) as we're using the side scan most of the time and that works best at 5mph and has the added bonus of being virtually zero wake so we don't end up drowning the 'suicide boaters'.