Fast Boat On Windermere

IRC Kevin

www.intrescue.org
So anyone in rowing boat, small dink or canoe is considered "suicidal" :confused:

Not much respect for others in that attitude is there? Do you happen to shout "Parp, Parp" when driving your car too?

'Suicide boaters' are what the locals refer to the hire boats as, because the last thing they are told is to avoid the red buoys around the rocks in Bowness Bay and the first thing many do is run straight onto them! Not disrespect, but local parlance (which you would know if you were from the Bowness area)

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
'Suicide boaters' are what the locals refer to the hire boats as, because the last thing they are told is to avoid the red buoys around the rocks in Bowness Bay and the first thing many do is run straight onto them! Not disrespect, but local parlance (which you would know if you were from the Bowness area)

Fairy Nuff, thanks for the explanation & may I apologise for & withdraw the tease.

Having been swamped in a small tender with my family (inc 2 small kids) by a stupid MoBo that I was flagging to slow down, I have a certain antipathy to those who do not consider the needs of others. Clearly you are better than that - sorry to have jumped to the wrong conclusion.

IRC Kevin

www.intrescue.org
No offense taken, Sealegs. I agree with you 100% about the idiots. Boating is very much like the road, where a significant proportion of people have no consideration for anyone else. Most of the big motor cruisers are driven sensibly on Windermere (apart from a few, who I won't name & shame on here even though they're not forum members), but can't say the same about the wake boarders and water skiers, who don't seem to have any idea about the problems their wakes are causing the smaller craft about the Lake, or those moored up. (Worse than the 'Miss Cumbria' type launches and that's saying something!)

MapisM

Visit site
Is there any point to spending £200K on a boat that can do 34 knots for use on a 10 mile lake with an overall 10 knot speed limit?
Well, in my simple mind the 10kts limit is far more stupid, to start with: most small(ish) pleasure boats make a helluva wake at 10kts.
I'd rather understand a 6kts limit, or even more appropriate a "no wake zone"...

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
Well, in my simple mind the 10kts limit is far more stupid, to start with: most small(ish) pleasure boats make a helluva wake at 10kts.
I'd rather understand a 6kts limit, or even more appropriate a "no wake zone"...

"No wake" does seem more sensible, but the problem with "no wake" is going to be enforcing it. How do you prove a wake was "excessive"? By the time you try measuring it, it has gone. At least a speed gun is simple to use & gives empirical data that is accepted in courts.

Lakesailor

Visit site
Yep. The speed limit argument isn't open for discussion any more so that's where it stands. (except it may be dropped from 10 knots to 10 mph due to a legislative cock-up).

The suicide boaters, when they aren't basking on the rocks, are doing stuff like this

Lakesail09May2.jpg

aquaplane

www.utilitywarehouse.co.uk
I thought that the Hanse 53 was a waste on Windermere too, but now I just think his holiday cottage is a bit bigger (well twice as big) than mine. I think waterfront property on Windermere, with the space you get in A Hanse 53, is going to be more than £250,000.

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
Dear Lakey,

That sailing boat (which seems to be called "Arsehole" or something very similar :confused:) doesn't appear to be moving (there is no wake or even a smooth patch behind her) so I don't see any great risk to the hire boat unless a sudden gust occurs. :rolleyes:

Alfie168

Visit site
, because the last thing they are told is to avoid the red buoys around the rocks in Bowness Bay and the first thing many do is run straight onto them! Not disrespect, but local parlance (which you would know if you were from the Bowness area)

Ah but you're not a 'proper' boater until you have done that:eek::eek: (in a rowing boat in my case...no excuse..my kids..who were supposed to be steering have never let me forget it)

Tim

Lakesailor

Visit site
Dear Searush,

I was (obviously) following "Arielle" and we were doing about 2 knots. The put-puts (it's an electric one actually) do about 5 knots.

It was very close. The helm on the yacht turned to me and shrugged.

As you say a gust would have accelerated the raggies and then there would have been a proper moment.
Gusts are a way of life here. Often you can plan to pass under someone's stern as long as you can pinch a bit and then a gust gets you, but not them, and you accelerate. If the gust is a wind shift as well it can mean a sudden re-think. :eek:

(sorry. A bit raggy for here)

Lakeside property is not too dear.

Last edited:

IRC Kevin

www.intrescue.org
The Suicide Boaters are nothing if not predictably unpredictable. You know they're probably going to do something daft and give them plently of room, wherever possible. It's boaters like this one below that give motor boats a bad name. (The yacht was within a couple of boat lengths of him, closer than it looks in the photo and the wake rocked us badly and we were 300 yards away!)

IMG_4223.jpg

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
Dear Searush,

I was (obviously) following "Arielle" and we were doing about 2 knots. The put-puts (it's an electric one actually) do about 5 knots.

It was very close. The helm on the yacht turned to me and shrugged.

As you say a gust would have accelerated the raggies and then there would have been a proper moment.
Gusts are a way of life here. Often you can plan to pass under someone's stern as long as you can pinch a bit and then a gust gets you, but not them, and you accelerate. If the gust is a wind shift as well it can mean a sudden re-think. :eek:

(sorry. A bit raggy for here)

Lakeside property is not too dear.

You took the bait, hook line & sinker there, Phil. :D

Sorry, but I did enjoy it! :cool:

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
Yes, well spotted, it is a Yawl, with the mizzen furled. The loose footed main is a design feature that allows a deeper sail (low footed) without risk to crew.

The Drascombes are a relatively small (18-20'?) open boat designed for family day sailing. They are unballasted like a dinghy, but the sail area is kept small & low compared to yer average "racing" dinghy & that, together with a crew of up to 3 or 4 & a relatively heavy galvanised centreboard, makes them a stable family day sailor.

Nice boats, Webb Chiles sailed his (Chideock Tichbourne) round the world. Not bad for an open day sailor. Google either of the names above for more info, he has a good blog & at least one book in e-format. Well worth a read

Last edited:

AndieMac

Visit site
Yes, well spotted, it is a Yawl, with the mizzen furled. The loose footed main is a design feature that allows a deeper sail (low footed) without risk to crew.

The Drascombes are a relatively small (18-20'?) open boat designed for family day sailing. They are unballasted like a dinghy, but the sail area is kept small & low compared to yer average "racing" dinghy & that, together with a crew of up to 3 or 4 & a relatively heavy galvanised centreboard, makes them a stable family day sailor.

Nice boats, Webb Chiles sailed his (Chideock Tichbourne) round the world. Not bad for an open day sailor. Google either of the names above for more info, he has a good blog & at least one book in e-format. Well worth a read

Thanks Steve, do you think she has a transom design a little like the Joshua Slocom 'Spray'?

Thankfully not the bluff bow though.

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
Check the Drascombe site, they are still in production & really hold their valued as used boats. I think they were following traditional working boat lines like the Yorkshire cobles, E coast smacks & Lancashire nobbies which are often hauled up the beach when not at sea. So Spray may have had a similar shape, but carvel construction rather than clinker.

Lakesailor

Visit site
Look carefully and you can see the outboard in a well ahead of the transom. It's a bit decorative really.
I find they are way over-priced as used boats. Still, if someone will pay the price that's it's value.
Bit like paying a load of money for a Morgan.

These two guys have one each at Ferry Nab. They get a lot of pleasure from them.

drascombe_2.jpg