Faroe Island Passage Planing and Cruising resources

eebygum

Visit site
Just visiting this old thread to see if anyone made it to the Faroes.
I’m reluctantly leaving the west coast of Scotland this year to return to lake Solent. I feel I’ve missed so much including this little adventure. So I’m pondering one last Hooley and am interested in any thing or advice on best places to visit. Just anything anyone would like to share on the trip.
Steveeasy
Hi,
I started this thread…. and yes I did make it.

I sailed singlehanded from Stornoway last August, had amazing weather while I was there. Here is short YouTube video of my passage and some of the harbours I visited.

Harbours and marinas were free/cheap, the scenery amazing. Food and alcohol expensive but not as much as Norway.

You definitely need the RAK app for the tides.

Daydream believer

Visit site
I must admit I share your misgivings about sailing just with electronic charts and have paper charts for chosen cruising areas.
Yet... in practice I barely look at them.
Even though I keep the chart of the current area in a waterproof folio in the cockpit.
In practice, it's electronic all the way.
Navionics on the plotter at the chart table and on 2 tablets (one in use in the cockpit and the other charging).
In all honesty, next time I change cruising area I probably won't bother with paper charts.
That is where a Yeoman plotter comes in really handy. A trip to the chart table can tell one exactly where one is on the chart & give a wider view from the main chart in a way that the plotter never does. It also makes entry of waypoints far easier (if linked to the plotter) & more accurate in that one can see the whole route whilst doing it

jlavery

Visit site
Hi,
I started this thread…. and yes I did make it.

I sailed singlehanded from Stornoway last August, had amazing weather while I was there. Here is short YouTube video of my passage and some of the harbours I visited.

Harbours and marinas were free/cheap, the scenery amazing. Food and alcohol expensive but not as much as Norway.

You definitely need the RAK app for the tides.
Looks amazing. We're planning to go next season (2025), probably departing from Stornaway. I'll definitely be looking up the info posted earlier in this thread, and maybe picking your brains! We're hoping to do some walking/camping while there, so hoping to leave the boat for a few days at a time, at a suitable location.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
That is where a Yeoman plotter comes in really handy. A trip to the chart table can tell one exactly where one is on the chart & give a wider view from the main chart in a way that the plotter never does. It also makes entry of waypoints far easier (if linked to the plotter) & more accurate in that one can see the whole route whilst doing it

I did use to own a Yeoman plotter, though I sold it some years ago.
Most of my sailing is singlehanded these days and when underway I prefer to spend as little time down below as possible.
Should my tablet ever let me down when coastal sailing I feel that a paper chart and a handbearing compass in the cockpit work just as well.

Daydream believer

Visit site
I did use to own a Yeoman plotter, though I sold it some years ago.
Most of my sailing is singlehanded these days and when underway I prefer to spend as little time down below as possible.
Should my tablet ever let me down when coastal sailing I feel that a paper chart and a handbearing compass in the cockpit work just as well.
I tend to agree about not going below if possible. A recipe for sea sickness.
I have a plug in the cockpit so my Yeoman can be used on deck if I wish. Bit difficult to see the lights in daytime though

eebygum

Visit site
Looks amazing. We're planning to go next season (2025), probably departing from Stornaway. I'll definitely be looking up the info posted earlier in this thread, and maybe picking your brains! We're hoping to do some walking/camping while there, so hoping to leave the boat for a few days at a time, at a suitable location.
Hi,
I kept my boat in Torshavn for over a week when my partner flew out and we rented an amazing AirBnB (PM if you want the details; it had its own Jacuzzi looking out across to the sea and a private sauna - a bit of luxury after all the sailing) and hired a car to get around all the islands and do some walking.

Equally you could keep the boat across from Torshavn at Nolstoy which was a free harbour and well protected and get the cheap ferry across every day.

It’s definitely worth the effort and is not too difficult a passage from Stornoway if your willing to wait for the right weather window.

SaltyC

Visit site
For those brought up on paper, the Yeoman is the answer to your prayers.
Passage planning on big screen paper with everything visible, way points uploaded at the press of a button, distance and bearing to an object immediately available. No zooming in and out and scrolling.
To me far better than a screen although use plotter screen for pilotage and close quarter awareness.