Fan recommendations please

roaringgirl

bit.ly
The boat is laid up in Curacao and we're flying back to the UK for hurricane season. Next year we're planning to take her through the canal and into the Pacific. On the list of things to do are: composting toilet (our holding tank is now rusted through); watt and sea hydrogenerator (we have oodles of power from the windgen and solar at anchor, but can get a bit short of amp hours underway when going downwind with the sails shading the pv); new membranes for the watermaker (now making 600ppm) and... cooling of people. As I've mentioned before, the supply-chain is not great here; as we're heading back to the UK I have an opportunity to get some good cabin fans and bring them back in the luggage in Sept. So advice please: I need some 12v DC fans that will help cool us all down. I have no idea why some cost £150+ and some cost a tenner. What have other people bought and liked or loathed?

Thanks!

Neeves

Visit site
We use computer fans. They come in many sizes but are commonly square in shape. You can source tiny little ones a few mm square, like 50mm, or big ones, the biggest we have are 140mm. As far as I know all computer fans are 12v. We use 100m square fans to supplement flow over our fridge compressor and the bigger ones, our largest are 140mm. I think the same fans maybe used in microwave ovens or the more recent air fryers etc.

The beauty of the fans are their small power requirement.

I have a 80mm unit in front of me that is rated at 0.14a and a 140mm unit rated at 0.33 amp.

Japan and Taiwan seem to have cornered the market - though I'm sure others might be supplying.

We scavenge our fans from obsolete electronic devices but they are available from stores selling electronic components.

Because we, or I, scavenge I get them for free and I can pick and choose quality. Quality ones are quiet, some can be noisy - so beware if you are buying some (try and buy only when you have heard them running). This means, maybe, having a 12v battery (power drill battery?)

They are functional - not pretty and are simply fans - if you want them to be fancy so that you can direct the airflow - buy one of those devises that hold a mobile phone or iPad (or make your own). The 140mm unit is chunky and will stand and be stable, its 40mm wide.

This is a link to a 140mm unit, with a picture - so you see how basic they are. This specific fan is available from a number of suppliers in Oz (much to my surprise).

109P1412M101 | DC Cooling Fan | San Ace | Product Site | SANYO DENKI

Take care, stay safe

Jonathan

roaringgirl

bit.ly
We use computer fans. They come in many sizes but are commonly square in shape. You can source tiny little ones a few mm square, like 50mm, or big ones, the biggest we have are 140mm. As far as I know all computer fans are 12v. We use 100m square fans to supplement flow over our fridge compressor and the bigger ones, our largest are 140mm. I think the same fans maybe used in microwave ovens or the more recent air fryers etc.

The beauty of the fans are their small power requirement.

I have a 80mm unit in front of me that is rated at 0.14a and a 140mm unit rated at 0.33 amp.

Japan and Taiwan seem to have cornered the market - though I'm sure others might be supplying.

We scavenge our fans from obsolete electronic devices but they are available from stores selling electronic components.

Because we, or I, scavenge I get them for free and I can pick and choose quality. Quality ones are quiet, some can be noisy - so beware if you are buying some (try and buy only when you have heard them running). This means, maybe, having a 12v battery (power drill battery?)

They are functional - not pretty and are simply fans - if you want them to be fancy so that you can direct the airflow - buy one of those devises that hold a mobile phone or iPad (or make your own). The 140mm unit is chunky and will stand and be stable, its 40mm wide.

This is a link to a 140mm unit, with a picture - so you see how basic they are. This specific fan is available from a number of suppliers in Oz (much to my surprise).

109P1412M101 | DC Cooling Fan | San Ace | Product Site | SANYO DENKI

Take care, stay safe

Jonathan

Hey, thanks for that, i was wondering about using computer fans as they are so cheap. I wasn't sure they would create enough airflow. Are they suitable for, say directing at yourself while trying to sleep?

billcole

Visit site
Are they suitable for, say directing at yourself while trying to sleep?
Yes they are good for that. We use one screwed to a couple of battens that rest across the open forehatch and direct air down on to the bunk.

I got mine from these people, who have a good range and include specs for noise levels and airflow on their website.

Quiet Computer Fans for a Virtually Silent PC

I think this is the one we use over the forehatch (or probably a slightly older version)

NF-A20 FLX 12V 800RPM 200x30mm Extra Large Quiet Fan

Last edited:

Neeves

Visit site
Hey, thanks for that, i was wondering about using computer fans as they are so cheap. I wasn't sure they would create enough airflow. Are they suitable for, say directing at yourself while trying to sleep?

Perfect for that.

If you are in the tropics (or Seattle currently) and want to cool a saloon, in a yacht, with well oiled guests - not so good or you need more than one fan.

Jonathan

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
We use Caframo Ultimate and it is a good choice but a bit expensive. I have heard some reports that some are noisy and fail early. I can't say I know anyone with that experience. We can easily sleep with one on low (probably on high as well.
The spec. says it uses:
0.28A on low and moves 150 CFM
0.41A on high and moves 200 CFM

A friend had an array of computer fans and they also worked well. They can be wired together easily if you already have a convenient spot. It's pretty easy to find the spec. if you know the model and can sometimes read it on the label. I think a single 120x120mm is likely to move around 50-70 CFM and 3 would be close to a single Caframo Ultimate. You should look at current and CFM before buying. Larger 200x200mm are probably quieter with lower RPM.

Watch out for units in small print. I have seen fans with 120 m3/hour and 120 looks good if you don't spot the units (approx. 70 cu. ft per min.). Current draw probably ends up being similar to Caframo for similar CFM. i.e. A single fan might be 0.1A and a bank of 3 is therefore 0.3A.

EDIT: Just remembered something about our Caframo fan. We started to see black flecks on bedding after a lot of use and realised it was carbon dust from the fan. I now clean it once or twice a season to remove loose dust. Simplest method is a quick blast of air.

Last edited: