Falmouth Anchorages

derekgillard

Visit site
This June before the school holidays we plan to take the boat (Bav 30 drawing 1.85) down to Falmouth for around a 4 week trip away. We are a Premier Marina berth holder so both Dartmouth and Falmouth offer free mooring.

Plan is to make for Dartmouth in one hop from the Solent (weather permitting) and then the various harbours on the way down. Once in Falmouth we will be based at the Premier Marina but would like to explore the various anchorages and creeks within the harbour.

Any recommendations for a peaceful anchorage or visitor buoys in the upper reaches of the harbour, looking at the chart can we moor overnight at Malpas and dinghy or walk to Truro? Guess I'm looking for a little local knowledge.

Thanks in advance

Del Buoy

doug748

Visit site
There are so many. To keep it short this is my favourite:

fal.png

Just off the mouth of Cowlands Creek, across the river from Tolverne Cottage (Smugglers). At night it is often black and silent, you could sit out a hurricane there anchored in thick gloopy mud.

johnalison

Visit site
I only know it as a visitor. We have usually stayed on the mid-river pontoon round the next bend but i have seen boats happily anchored further up the same reach. Rubbish is collected from the pontoon, which is plastic and doesn't take kindly to barbecues. I haven't been there for some years but there used to be a chap who ran a quaint cafe at the Smugglers and had a small museum in honour of the American invasion troops. I've no idea if it is still there.

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
As the others have said, there's lots of places to drop the hook. Be aware, however, that at some of the locations you'll get a visit from the harbour master's merry men asking you to pay for the privilege....
Watch the tides of you plan on taking the dinghy up to Truro, the river dries out there quite rapidly.

Hacker

Visit site
Doubt if you will be able to get to Malpas. Even the Fal river cruise boats struggle unless spring (ish) high tides.

doug748

Visit site
derekgillard ......Any recommendations for a peaceful anchorage or visitor buoys in the upper reaches of the harbour said:
I thought there would be more responses so to get things going.

You can anchor almost anywhere in the Fal, using ordinary prudence. As Duncan has said, the boys from Truro will be down as far as Turnaware Point, for harbour dues, and in theory the Falmouth people could nail you in the rest of the river. In practice the place is so big that dues have only been collected in the town anchorage - so far.
As mentioned, there are a number of pontoons in the upper river for which there is and extra charge for the convenience. There is one at Malpas and, as the water is running out there, it is probably your best bet. There is a good pub but landing is not easy with a lot of "private" signs in evidence. The walk to Truro is about a mile or you can go up on the tide in the dinghy.

Most of the key anchorages are in the pilot books. Off Channels Creek, below Trelissick House is very atmospheric. You can land and visit the gardens, in season, which is well worth it.

Afaik, sadly, the Smugglers is now in private hands and no longer serves food and beers. There are still buoys in the area (to the east of the jetty shown on the chart above) where there is no doubt a charge. Or there is a traditional anchorage just east of them.

There is still lots of room to anchor off the N bank at St Mawes or the S bank beyond the moorings + lots of visitor moorings. It's comfortable in anything but strong westerly ish winds. You won't want to miss the Helford either.

NPMR

Visit site
Surprisingly few responses!

Helford, lots.
Coverack in a Westerly.
St Mawes or under the light house in an easterly.
Maenporth in a westerly.
A bit further away, tucked in under Dodman Point, easterly.
On a walk I saw a quite large yacht in under Nare Head, in tight to a very un-used beach,with hardly any swinging room. Looked fun.
Portscatho, westerly.

I guess it depends on what 'facilities' you need. If you just need the stars to look at and flat water, the options are many. Need walk ashore or short dinghy rides, still lots.

coveman

Visit site
A trip to Helford is well worthwhile and Gillan Creek at the mouth of the Helford is a quiet spot - except in an easterly wind. Overnight moorings available from - http://www.sailawaystanthony.co.uk/

Restronguet Creek up the Fal river is also a great spot, and you can visit the Pandora Inn (with pontoon) here depending on the tide and draft of your boat.

Its a great area - I'm feeling jealous!

jimi

Visit site
We used to take our Beneteau 331 drawing 1.85 up to the buoys at Malpas, dinghy to the pontoon just below the Heron Inn and walk to Truro. Porthscatho, St Mawes, St Just, Coverack and Cadgwith are all excellent in the right conditions.

RIBW

Visit site
Just a few tweaks to doug's post:-

'Malpas Marine' has been bought by Cornwall County Council so look out for some changes there.

Be aware that freighters go up as far as Truro on HWS (see below).

... As mentioned, there are a number of pontoons in the upper river for which there is and extra charge for the convenience. There is one at Malpas and, as the water is running out there, it is probably your best bet.
The pontoon close to the the Malpas Marine shore connected pontoons has 1m at LWS, but the one a little downriver beyond the buoys (RHS of ship poto) has more depth.
There are also visitor buoys between these pontoons.

The walk to Truro is about a mile or you can go up on the tide in the dinghy.
It is a beautiful walk and there are sizeable supermarkets at the end of the navigable river for a good restock.

Afaik, sadly, the Smugglers is now in private hands and no longer serves food and beers. There are still buoys in the area (to the east of the jetty shown on the chart above) where there is no doubt a charge.
The estate tried to take the business upmarket and failed is the way I saw it. The moorings are 'managed' (last time I investigated).
Friends have anchored off Restronguet Creek and dinghied into the Pandora Pub/Resto

You won't want to miss the Helford either.
Fully agree! Also of all the eating establishments near the moorings my favourite is Porth Navas Yacht Club - Limited menu, limited evenings but excellent. http://pnyc.co.uk/

Have a great trip
Bob

View attachment 69620

doug748

Visit site
Thanks for the updates RIBW.

"The estate tried to take the business upmarket and failed is the way I saw it. The moorings are 'managed' (last time I investigated)."

Lets hope a way can be found to run the place in something like the old manner:02.47-tranquillity:

Kelpie

Visit site
Is the Fal a suitable place to hang out waiting for a window to cross Biscay, without having to pay too much? Or would somewhere else be better?

RIBW

Visit site
Is the Fal a suitable place to hang out waiting for a window to cross Biscay, without having to pay too much? Or would somewhere else be better?

You don't say when or where from, but, assuming Springtime and down via the Irish Sea, my preference would be Milford Haven (A choice of marinas and anchorages) and then L'Aberwrach (about 35 - 40 hours from MH, relatively easy entry in daylight and it eases the decision when to head further south). My main reason is that Falmouth is a long way out of your way once you are at Lands End. Alternatively or additionally, Penzance/Newlyn would be an option.
Have a great trip.
Cheers
Bob

jdc

Visit site

In my opinion it's the best place. And if one adds the bays and creeks on the E side of the Lizard as well then it's an ideal mini-cruising ground in its own right. Some of my favourite places already mentioned, but armed with a chart one can find spots to anchor almost anywhere. My boat draws 2m and Truro is no problem, neither is the pontoon at the Pandora around HW.

Funnily enough although I've been here pretty much continuously since 1987, I have never visited 'Smugglers'. The twee name and the charabanc trade one could see from the river put me off and I mourn its passing not one jot. A 10 minute walk can always bring one to a good pub wherever one is anchored.

snooks

www.grahamsnook.com
You’ll find lots of helpful information in the May issue of Yachting Monthly coming out in a few weeks.
Port of Truro run things on the upper part of the river, £15 a night on the visitors buoys or pontoons (which have refuse facilities), 10 nights for £120 this include the drying berths at the upper quays in Truro. The landing stage at Trelissick (south of king Harry ferry) has water, but it’s best to use it out of the hours of the tripper boats. You can however land there with your dinghy, keeping the dinghy away from the outside, and visit Trelissick.

Anchorage wise: Channals creek, north of Turnaware, Ruan Creek, and Cowlands Creek. You can also anchor in St Mawes harbour and there are lots of other places around and about the Fal.

michael_w

Visit site

Rade de Brest and Camaret. Free anchorage too, not Cornish rip off. Stock up with French delicacies at Chateaulin. E.Leclerc supermarket within 100m of the dock.

snowleopard

Visit site
Restronguet Creek up the Fal river is also a great spot, and you can visit the Pandora Inn (with pontoon) here depending on the tide and draft of your boat.

When I enquired at the Pandora I was refused permission to use the pontoon. They directed me to a visitors' buoy but I felt it was too close to other moorings for my 40 ft.

The anchorage below Trelissick is beautiful but do your tidal sums carefully and don't anchor too close in. If you go South of Turnaware bar you won't get caught for mooring charges.

I draw 1.1m and can comfortably get up to Truro a couple of hours before the tide but couldn't stay overnight as there is only one bit of flat bottom and there is invariably a decaying boat occupying it.

There are pontoons at Malpas but only for relatively small boats. Not sure whether 30 ft is under the limit. Last time we were there the harbour guide advertised a bus service to Truro but it had recently been withdrawn. There is a bus link for the tripper boats when the tide is too low to get to Truro and they gave us a ride.

Quite a lot of boats lie at anchor long-term upstream of the Smuggler's You will get charged by the Truro River HM but it's a lot cheaper than Falmouth.

snowleopard

Visit site
You can also anchor in St Mawes harbour

Great spot and no charge for anchoring. One piece of advice: It can get pretty bouncy in a SW wind. I made an escape plan with bearings and waypoints to get out in case I had to up anchor in the dark. There are some hefty unlit buoys you wouldn't want to get too closely acquainted with at night!

While there, be sure to visit the bakery on the quay. Get there early while they still have Yum yums in stock (yes, seriously).

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com

We used the Yacht Haven for about ten days waiting for a weather window to cross Biscay in late July. Wasn't too expensive but it was ten years ago..... That's assuming you want to cross Biscay - ie do as we did and cross directly to La Corunna. If you're aiming for the French coast then Milford Haven is a pretty good place to lurk but in my opinion it adds to much to the trip if you're heading for say Spain.