Fairline mirage 29 - comments

G

I'm looking at purchasing a 30 foot "Sportsman 300". The history seems to be, that it was built by Fairline in 1985. The closest match I could find is a Mirage 29 by fairline. It seems a bit under powered with twin volvo penta 125 gas engines, but for the cruising that I am planning it should be fine. No one has heard of this vessel in canada, so I'm hoping that I might get some comments from the land where she is from. Any comments?

G

Motor Boat Monthly did an article on these boats not too long ago. Overall they are a sound boat and come with quite a few different engine packages, single, twin, gas or diesel. They were also made as an aft cabin as well as aft cockpit, a late, aft cabin version command a premium price in the UK. As gas is as cheap water in Canada, I guess it makes no difference to the purchase price.

MBY offer a FAX srvice and should be able to FAX the original article to you.

Happy boating.

G

I have a Mirage 29 & am very happy with her. She's a 1982 boat with twin AQ145 138hp gas engines and will top 30 knots lightly loaded! Cruise is 18-20knots to get decent consumption. I have had contact with a lady in Canada with a Sportsman, so will find her email & forward it to you.

I think you will find her a nice, comfortable, practical boat.

Regards,

Steve

G

I owned a Mirage in the late eighties which had twin Volvo 125hp petrol(gas) engines on 280 outdrives. I cruised her as extensively as the fuel capacity permitted which was not a lot. You are right to say that she is underpowered and with a full load of people on board she could struggle to get on the plane. I cured this by fitting trim tabs and I would commend these to you. With a normal load, I could get 22/23 knots flat out and a comfortable 17/18 knt cruise. Her lowest planing speed was about 14 knts with a big "hump" between 11 - 14 knots. Fitting the tabs got rid of the hump and allowed her on the plane much more easily.

Fuel capacity was from memory 110 gallons (imperial - so a bit more in US gals) and this was good for a round trip of say 150 miles and not much more with any safety. Water is 45 gallons (plus 10 in the calorifier) which means fairly frequent filling up when on a trip, depending on whether you use the shower, etc.

She was a basically well screwed together boat but check under the dinette seats for any signs of the internal molding parting from the hull. I had this in mine and reinforced the joints.

As a sea boat she was pretty safe and I was out in all sorts up to force 7, but inclined to slam a lot in any kind of sea at all. She was a good family boat and took my wife and I + 3 kids with ease. Heating was via a little catalytic heater which was inadequate for Scottish climes and if you live anywhere cold, I would recommend you get something better.

Finally, the outdrives were the bane of my life. These must be well looked after if you do not want to be personally responsible for increasing the Swedish GDP. The bellows should be changed every season (and, of course, the anodes. Volvo recommend that you check the oil in the outdrives weekly but this was tricky on the Mirage as a) With a full fuel tank, the dipsticks were under water b) even with low fuel, if you stand on the bathing platform, the dipsticks go under water The only way I found to do was from the dinghy when fuel was low and the water tank (which is in the bow) is topped up.

Finally, I have a number of pictures of said boat - if you want a look, let me have your e-mail address

Nick Robinson

G

We have just sold a 1978 Mirage with 2 x Volvo 140's with outdrives. We had her for 11 years and have only sold her now to buy smaller and trail around to increase our cruising range. For accomodation and comfort she was great.I can remember one social gathering with 22 people on board but I wouldn't recommend that number all the time!1 From a womens point of view the galley was a bit on the small size but general storage for everything including the kitchen sink seemed ample!! The water tank was sufficient for us and when cruising with friends we seemed to fill up alot less so either we were smellier or capacity was good!! We cruised mainly on inland rivers and wide beam canals and covered many miles and even took her to some places that the size of boat struggled with.Although we got some funny looks and had to get under some low bridges by acosting fellow boaters to weigh her down we thoroughly enjoyed owning her and the new owners seem pleased. If you came to England and took a trip on say the Thames from experience every other boat is a Mirage so that's a good advert for them Good cruising Cindy Newport. Bristol,England.

G

I have a 79 version with 112hp engines, a bit underpowered but for river cruising is great, well put together and still demands a premiuim price in england so must be good value. has 280 outdrives but seem ok so long as they are given a bit of tlc every year. I also have some piccies so if you need some mail me and i will send some to you.