Eye bolts for Dinghy transom

Sometime

Visit site
Hi

I have got a 2.4m dinghy that I would like to fix to my davits, there are no eye bolts on the transom so I would have to fix some. Could anyone please advise a suitable bolt?
Many thanks

Sometime

Visit site
The only ones I can see are 80mm long, I would have thought that was too long. I am probably searching for the wrong name hence not getting any results that look right so I was just asking for some advice.

Ubergeekian

Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbri
www.drmegaphone.com
The only ones I can see are 80mm long, I would have thought that was too long.

66126.jpg

Tranona

Visit site
Joking apart you may find an eyebolt is not big enough, but depends on the hooks on your davit strops. The alternative is a U bolt which has 2 legs, but like an eye bolt there will be excess thread length to cut off.

Seajet

Visit site
Tip

Sometime,

further to Ubergeekians' useful suggestion, just in case you are unfamiliar with this tip, if you are cutting a threaded length, put the nut on first, closer to the head of the bolt than the cut; that way removing the nut cleans the thread up, otherwise it will be difficult or impossible to get the nut on.

Wunja

Visit site
Sometime,

further to Ubergeekians' useful suggestion, just in case you are unfamiliar with this tip, if you are cutting a threaded length, put the nut on first, closer to the head of the bolt than the cut; that way removing the nut cleans the thread up, otherwise it will be difficult or impossible to get the nut on.

Likewise, cut parallel to the thread rather than perpendicular to the bolt. That way the thread is only cut at one point and it is much easier to get the nut back on.

Ubergeekian

www.drmegaphone.com
Likewise, cut parallel to the thread rather than perpendicular to the bolt. That way the thread is only cut at one point and it is much easier to get the nut back on.

Hmm. Would you like to think a little more about that suggestion? In particular...
  • What does a cut which is "parallel to the thread" when seen from one side of the bolt look like from the other side?
  • How many times do you think the thread is cut when the bolt is cut perpendicular to its axis?

oGaryo

Visit site
there are eye bolts on Ebay with shorter screw length with various eye sizes in 316 stainless...

I've created a dingy support system that's adjustable in length as opposed to the stand off arms which you have to buy in a set length, doesn't require pads to be glued to the dingy so long as you have either handles on the tubes or rope eyes and I use an alternative to eyes on the transom to clip them on to.. works really well, pm me if interested and I'll send you a photo to explain the setup further, happy to make you some up at cost.

cheers Gary

Wunja

Visit site
Hmm. Would you like to think a little more about that suggestion? In particular...
  • What does a cut which is "parallel to the thread" when seen from one side of the bolt look like from the other side?
  • How many times do you think the thread is cut when the bolt is cut perpendicular to its axis?

No idea. But before I was given this tip (many years ago) I used to have a lot of trouble cross threading bolts that had been shortened.

D

Deleted member 36384

Flippen heck, just cut the thread and then use a a triangular (or even flat) file and dress off the thread such that your nut goes on and off easy.

Tranona

Visit site
Who'd have thought something as simple as cutting off excess thread would have generated so much debate!

Anyway my 2p worth - fit the bolt and nut then cut off flush with the nut. dress the end with a file. If you do nedd to remove it, the nut will clean up the cut edge when you undo. That way you have nothing sticking out and don't need to worry about whether you can get the nut back on.

bbg

Visit site
Hi

I have got a 2.4m dinghy that I would like to fix to my davits, there are no eye bolts on the transom so I would have to fix some. Could anyone please advise a suitable bolt?
Many thanks

Wichard makes them. Wichard also makes eye "nuts" that screw onto bolts. They have several sizes. If you don't see what you like, I'm sure your local chandler can order something for you.
There are also non-Wichard versions at a fraction of the price, and for your application would also be perfectly fine.

Giblets

Visit site
Flippen heck, just cut the thread and then use a a triangular (or even flat) file and dress off the thread such that your nut goes on and off easy.

Or screw the nut past where you want to cut, cut and then unscrew the nut off the thread. This will clear the threads nicely. A quick touch with a file will then take off any sharp bits.

Ubergeekian

www.drmegaphone.com
... if you are cutting a threaded length, put the nut on first, closer to the head of the bolt than the cut; that way removing the nut cleans the thread up, otherwise it will be difficult or impossible to get the nut on.

Then twelve hours later ...

Or screw the nut past where you want to cut, cut and then unscrew the nut off the thread. This will clear the threads nicely. A quick touch with a file will then take off any sharp bits.

:D:D:D

Interlude

Visit site
As an alternative to eye bolts, I just bolted cheap plastic horn cleats to the transom - inside, close to edges. A loop of line through them can be hooked on to. A 'U' bol is already on hte bow for towing/anchoring.

reeac

Visit site
I can see [I think] exactly what Wunja means: you get just one awkward point around the cut end instead of two or more and that must make it easier to wiggle the nut onto the thread.