External surface protection for fibreglass boats

Happy1

N/A
Visit site
I am in the fortunate position as some of you may know to have been able to buy a new small fibreglass boat, I am wondering in anyone could give me some tips on preparing the external surfaces for the weather it is going to face in the UK. Is it easier for me to get it from the dealer a few days before commissioning and polish it with something or just get on with it and stop bothering about it. I know there are some good car polishes, but would like to know if there is the same for a fibreglass boat, and if in your opions it would make any difference.

I would rather be a ble to put say ten layers of good protection on it whilst it was on land, rather than having to lean over when it is on the sea.

Thank you all very much in advance for sensible answers.

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=purple> "You only see what you recognise, and you only recognise what you know" <font color=purple>

Happy1

N/A
Visit site
I guess the expensive stuff you are referring to is probably the same stuff 90% cheaper in a camping / caravan shop, for shining caravans, or is it?

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=purple> "You only see what you recognise, and you only recognise what you know" <font color=purple>

nicho

Visit site
I've always used a Starbrite polish for boats that contains Teflon. I cannot remember it's name (it's on the boat) but Starbrite claims the Teflon fills the tiny holes in the fibreglass surface to keep the grime out. It is not exactly cheap (around £13 a bottle if I remember), but it is very good.

<hr width=100% size=1>

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
Click on Search above, enter 'starbrite' and 'teflon' as search words, select AND in search options and 'All Posts' in date range......keep you happy for hours !

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.boatsontheweb.com/galleryframes.html> BoatsOnTheWeb, Photo Gallery, Chat Room</A>

paulineb

Visit site
Re: External surface protection for fibreglass boa

There's an excellent polish by 3M - it's not cheap, but it works really well. I can't remember the name of it. I'll ask Mr B.

<hr width=100% size=1>Pxx

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.paulinebeddoes.co.uk/php-cgi/gallery>The Perils of Pauline</A>

Bejasus

Visit site
Glad to see your happy now.

1. Wash with International Universal Cleaner(the boat, not you)
2. Polish twice with International Polish with Teflon
3 Seal with International Wax Sealer with Teflon

You will then have a slick, non sticky, shiney boat.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/h00>http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/h00</A>

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
The guys that used to look after my boat recommended "Mould Release Wax". Don't know much more than that but when laying up for winter they'd put it on really thick then buff it off for re-launching in the spring.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.FairlineOwnersClub.com>Fairline Owners's Club</A>

BarryH

Visit site
Decasol Classic Car wax, silicon free. Works a treat. I buy it by the gallon for about 9 quid at the factors. Dont put it on too thick cos when it dries its a bugger to polish off. Put a thin coat on over the winter, then just wash the boat as normal come the spring if you lay it up.....lay it up.......nah bugger that, use it.

<hr width=100% size=1>
captain.gif

coliholic

Visit site
For the past three or four years I've been a devotee of the Starbrite with teflon waax and found it really good and was very happy with the results

However back in late summer I looked at an old Fairline Turbo 36 at Chichester and it had a stunning shine on it. Asked the owner what he used and he didn't know, he'd had it done by Peters. So I phoned them up and spoke with "the head of valeting services" and had a long chat with him. What a helpful bloke. Anyway he told me that they'd tried just about every product on the market and got best results with Autoglym Radiant Wax12 primarily aimed at the auto refinishing market.

So I bought some and did a comoarison. Polished half the Mirage with Starbrite and t'other half with the Autoglym and I must say I'm a convert now. Shine stayed longer and seemed deeper, if that sounds right. About £28 for a gallon so it'll last for ages. And not hard work to use either.

<hr width=100% size=1>

hlb

RIP
Visit site
And you got me buying that teflon frying pan stuff last year. Think I'm going to take any notice this time. Not inviting you to Mucky Farters New Year do!!

<hr width=100% size=1> <font color=blue> Haydn

coliholic

Visit site
But I've got me gallon of polish all packed ready. Oh please can I come and give the old girl a quick rub down? Make her look all nice a sparkly for her nice new rudders and propshaft bolts? And I'll do the side that no one ever sees too?

Oh go on Princess Haydn, do say I can come.

But the point is that I've been really happy with the Starbrite stuff for years, just was surprised at how good the Turbo looked so had to ask the question - after all that's what we all try to do isn't it? Learn as we go. No point being a stick in the mud and saying "we've always done it like this therefore it must be right." Anyway you can flog the Starbrite to underpants for his boat and get some of this better stuff for yours

<hr width=100% size=1>

Happy1

N/A
Visit site
Haydn, my invite seems to have gone missing as well, could you re-send it please /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

hlb

RIP
Visit site
How can I refuse an offer like that. Especialy as Mucky Farters living up to her name and not had a wash for five months. If you could get down there smartish and give her a good polish by the time we get down....Anyway the teas in the cupboard over the sink. Probably some milk in the fridge, left over from last time. Put the centralheating on so it's warm when we get there. You wont need it cos you willbe outside polishing. Right!!

<hr width=100% size=1> <font color=blue> Haydn

Happy1

N/A
Visit site
Thanks for the warning, it's very kind of you /forums/images/icons/smile.gif