Extending Europe's three month visa

Sahula

Visit site
I am an Australian cruising soon in Europe. The three month visa isn't long enough. I am seeking advice on the availability, process, cost, etc of applying for an extension. After cruising, I may winter in the Baltic, probably Finland.
Sahula

jimbaerselman

www.jimbsail.info
A few hints from the UK Cruising Association (www.cruising.org.uk)

First, your Schengen visa gives you any 90 days out of any 180 days, then you may apply for another visa. So you may be able to duck the issue.

Next, depending where you're spending your time in Europe, Croatia, Turkey, UK, the Channel Islands (a UK dependency) and Norway are all outside the Schengen zone (as are N Africa countries, not very quiet at the moment though!), so you can spend your other 90 days out of the 180 in one or more of these places.

However, for real ease of living, you should apply for an extended Schengen visa at an embassy of the country you intend to spend most time in. They will give you a list of possibilities applying to that country. Things do take time, however.

tri39

www.sailblogs.com
I am an Australian cruising soon in Europe. The three month visa isn't long enough. I am seeking advice on the availability, process, cost, etc of applying for an extension. After cruising, I may winter in the Baltic, probably Finland.
Sahula
Are you taking your boat to winter in Finland!? There are warmer places. If you're arriving via the Red Sea you could even consider Israel.
There do seem to be huge no's of Aussies in the UK. They must know how to extend their stay.

maxi77

Visit site
The other problem to consider is how to extend your VAT free stay. An american who was moored close to us recently had to leave to avoid having to import his boat permanently into the EU.