Extending anchor rode - recommendations please

Irish Rover

Visit site
Thank you, all. I'll definitely just replace the chain and I'll check the gypsy before buying. 80M will probably be enough but if I think space may not be a problem I may just buy 100M "to be sure, to be sure".Screenshot_20240315_082808_Chrome.jpg

Neeves

Visit site
Thank you, all. I'll definitely just replace the chain and I'll check the gypsy before buying. 80M will probably be enough but if I think space may not be a problem I may just buy 100M "to be sure, to be sure".View attachment 173907

We changed our chain from 8mm to 6mm (high tensile).

I decanted the chain, 50m, into a big plastic box in our dinghy under the windlass secured between the 2 hulls. I then motored the dinghy to a nearby beach with our car about 50m from the beach. 50m could have been 50 nautical miles.

I could not lift the chain.

Self inflicted stupidity. I was so focussed at getting the chain out of the locker and into the dinghy - I completely ignored the consequences of what I was doing

10mm chain weighs 2.3kg per metre - it will take up room and even 80m will need 'something' mechanical to move it. The amount, length, you are considering is, I assume, all in the bow

Plan ahead :)

Its a different scale but this is our 50m of 8mm chain, in the rear 2 drums and the new 75m of 6mm chain in the 2 near drums. I stress, changing chain size is expensive.

IMG_0337.jpeg

Last edited:

Irish Rover

Visit site

I decanted the chain, 50m, into a big plastic box in our dinghy under the windlass secured between the 2 hulls. I then motored the dinghy to a nearby beach with our car about 50m from the beach. 50m could have been 50 nautical miles.

Self inflicted stupidity. I was so focussed at getting the chain out of the locker and into the dinghy - I completely ignored the consequences of what I was doing

10mm chain weighs 2.3kg per metre - it will take up room and even 80m will need 'something' mechanical to move it. The amount, length, you are considering is, I assume, all in the bow

Its a different scale but this is our 50m of 8mm chain, in the rear 2 drums and the new 75m of 6mm chain in the 2 near drums. I stress, changing chain size is expensive.

View attachment 173908
Thanks. I'm going to lift the boat for antifouling as soon as I get back to Türkiye so I'll be able to drop the new chain under the hull and attach it. I did it this way previously and it took the pain out of it.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk

View attachment 173908
I took 50 metres of 8 mm chain to BE Wedge to be regalvanised (some years ago). I had decanted the chain into a plastic container in my van as it was too heavy for me to lift. I then decanted it out of that container into another on the ground, one of those big builder's buckets with two handles. The foreman from Wedge picked up the bucket with one hand and carried it across the shop! Then the handle broke so he had to use the other.

Great strength is derived from heaving metal around all day.