Exhaust temps

Jamie Dundee

Visit site
After following a few threads on here I’ve fitted an exhaust temperature sensor (SM010). Having put a few hours on this year I’m getting around 28c at displacement speeds, 48c at 3000rpm cruising and 55c at WOT 3600rpm. Sound about right?

Well impressed with the product, came with absolutely everything that might be required to install it.

Edited to add VP TAMD41P.

Last edited:

Plum

Visit site
After following a few threads on here I’ve fitted an exhaust temperature sensor (SM010). Having put a few hours on this year I’m getting around 28c at displacement speeds, 48c at 3000rpm cruising and 55c at WOT 3600rpm. Sound about right?

Well impressed with the product, came with absolutely everything that might be required to install it.

Edited to add VP TAMD41P.
Hi, my sensor is clamped to the outside of the metal injection bend just before the flexible hose so can't compare temperature readings with yours, however, the actual temperature is academic. Suggest you just make notes of what you get for ongoing monitoring of change and set the temperature alarm 10 degrees higher than the maximum you currently measure.

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Jamie Dundee

Visit site
Hi, my sensor is clamped to the outside of the metal injection bend just before the flexible hose so can't compare temperature readings with yours, however, the actual temperature is academic. Suggest you just make notes of what you get for ongoing monitoring of change and set the temperature alarm 10 degrees higher than the maximum you currently measure.

I’ve set the alarm at 60c, given the repeated temps/revs it should give a good early warning of any problems.

Greg2

Visit site
We have fitted the Siliconmarine twin engine exhaust temp system and whilst I have only been at low speeds on the river so far I have been surprised at how low the temps are - about 18 degrees C but that has been at just over tick over.

I too was impressed with the product.

Jamie Dundee

Visit site
We have fitted the Siliconmarine twin engine exhaust temp system and whilst I have only been at low speeds on the river so far I have been surprised at how low the temps are - about 18 degrees C but that has been at just over tick over.

I too was impressed with the product.
Yes, tickover does give 15-18c on mine. Sea water temp only 9c so far though.

Dino

Visit site
I have the same Silicon Marine twin engine set sitting on my boat ready to install.
Hope to get to it in the next week or two.
Thanks for the info

Trundlebug

Visit site
I fitted one of these to each engine around 8 years ago and as they were so cheap fitted another to monitor the engine bay.

12V-220V LCD Digital Temperature Controller Thermostat with Sensor STC-1000 | eBay

These days you can even get one with dual display, effectively halving the price!
DC12V STC-3008 LED Dual Digital Temperature Sensor Thermostat Controller Display | eBay
Fantastic pieces of kit, I wouldn't be without them.
By all means spend £70 if you want to but you can do the same thing for less than £25 (buzzer and sensors included) - potentially less than £15

The display is clear, alarms easily programmable and sensors taped to the outside of the exhaust elbow.
Just wired a buzzer to the outputs and hey presto.
Temps run at around 20 degrees early season, 25-30 degrees in hotter weather.

Montemar

www.voltloudspeakers.co.uk
I have installed these recently so have not yet set them up. On a short trip after fitting them I saw 62 degrees at max throttle for about 10 minutes.
Very impressed by the value for money and instructions.

Plum

Visit site

Nito

Visit site
In the car world EGT sensors are before the turbo on the hot side. I didn’t realise boats measure the outside of the pipe, presumably at some point after the water is fed in judging by the temp you’re seeing. Interesting, I guess the purpose is to provide an early warning that water is no longer circulating rather than to advise of lean running or detonation induced elevated temp?

A typical tuned car would be running about 870 degrees on WOT, a bit higher if leaning out.

ctva

Visit site

Can I ask what engine you have as I am about to fit the same setup to a Yanmar 3GM30F so looking for ball park temps on the high settings?

vas

Visit site
the other slightly more complex approach is to fit a pressure sensor in the seawater cooling circuit after the impeller and before the heat exchanger:
if pressure goes up means blocked heat exchanger
if pressure goes down blocked inlet or buggered impeller
for the record in this setup yanmar 2GMF shows 0.2bar at 1000rpm, 0.5bar at 3000rpm.

dragoon

Visit site
I fitted one of these to each engine around 8 years ago and as they were so cheap fitted another to monitor the engine bay.

12V-220V LCD Digital Temperature Controller Thermostat with Sensor STC-1000 | eBay

These days you can even get one with dual display, effectively halving the price!
DC12V STC-3008 LED Dual Digital Temperature Sensor Thermostat Controller Display | eBay
Fantastic pieces of kit, I wouldn't be without them.
By all means spend £70 if you want to but you can do the same thing for less than £25 (buzzer and sensors included) - potentially less than £15

The display is clear, alarms easily programmable and sensors taped to the outside of the exhaust elbow.
Just wired a buzzer to the outputs and hey presto.
Temps run at around 20 degrees early season, 25-30 degrees in hotter weather.

Thanks for the tip on these. I recently ordered a dual and a single one of these, which just arrived.

I've decided to add some as part of my ongoing increased monitoring in the engine room - I added a pair of cheap CCTV cameras from Ebay a few years ago that have been very useful for spotting issues early on.

The temp alarms look great - so far just tested in the kitchen but they seem good.

The only problem I see is that the cables for the sensors are not so long. Did you extend the cables on the sensors, and did you see any problems when doing so?

Croftie

Visit site

Plum

Visit site
- I added a pair of cheap CCTV cameras from Ebay a few years ago that have been very useful for spotting issues early on.
Can you post a link to the cameras you have, please. I have been looking but they all seem to be security cameras and all seem to revert to infrared in the dark so black and white only. I am looking for one with wireless link to phone or tablet and with a white light to illuminate the engine space when recording .

www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk