Exceptional VHF reception this weekend

Dellquay13

Boat at Milford Haven, Home in Chesterfield
Visit site
Sailing this weekend in the Milford Haven, we clearly heard some really distant stations. We often hear Rosslare and Falmouth CG, but on Saturday amongst some very distant stations we listened to Solent CG arranging medical support for a Woman casualty in a rib, Dublin and Minehead CG, both sides of a conversation ships bridge to harbour control at Cork, and Valentia CG announcing the local navigational warnings, all on an antenna on an 8m mast with no clear view of the open sea inside the Haven.
Anyone else hear any long distance voices?

trevbouy

Visit site
Atmospheric temperature inversion creates a layer that VHF/UHF can travel long distances. Radio Amateurs use this to make contacts.
Back in the analogue days the TV made announcements about disruption to TV reception.

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
Sailing this weekend in the Milford Haven, we clearly heard some really distant stations. We often hear Rosslare and Falmouth CG, but on Saturday amongst some very distant stations we listened to Solent CG arranging medical support for a Woman casualty in a rib, Dublin and Minehead CG, both sides of a conversation ships bridge to harbour control at Cork, and Valentia CG announcing the local navigational warnings, all on an antenna on an 8m mast with no clear view of the open sea inside the Haven.
Anyone else hear any long distance voices?
Spanish Coruña/Finisterre stations can sometimes be heard from south Brittany, that is 300ish miles.

KevO

Visit site
From Falmouth bay on Sat afternoon we were picking up the CG in Rosslare, Milford Haven, Oostende, Dover, Humber, Guernsey, Jersey and a raft of French stations - all as clear as a bell. At one point I’m pretty sure we had Lisbon although a little intermittent.

Frogmogman

Visit site
Together with Land's end a lot of Finis Terrae it seems, ancient people arrived there and either walked back or went into the unknown sea :)

Just arrived to the boat right now, vhf on I just heard Santander weather bulletin and an all ship call from an Irish station.
Some don’t even get beyond the World’s End distillery in the kings road….

Mataji

Visit site
VHF can be very strange. I used to regularly drive along the A66 between Penrith and Keswick. There was a stretch along there where I would always lose all FM reception. One day I got there, radio 4 went silent as usual, and after a few minutes a French radio station appeared, quite faint but clear enough. Stayed on for a few minutes before silence returned.