Excellent service, then a surprise

cpedw

Visit site
May Bank Holiday weekend I broke the steering on my boat - a big plate with two pulleys that fits under the binnacle. I traced the part on the Edson website and ordered a replacement by phone from them in the USA. I was very surprised when it was delivered to my home in Edinburgh (even though they had spelled it Endimbergh) on Friday, 4 days after ordering.
Today, I got a phone call from someone claiming to be FedEx telling me that there is £40 to pay for customs. That I have a customs bill I can believe, but he wanted me to give a credit card number over the phone to pay this. I declined and asked him to write. Was I excessively suspicious? Why didn't they collect the fee on delivery?

Derek

Gin

Visit site
I expect this was a genuine call, resulting from an administrative cock-up.

Courier companies, normally will not release an imported package until all duties/charges have been paid.

Therefore, in my opinion, your cautious response was correct

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Better than Lewmar / Whitlock I ordered a complete pedestal, gearbox and autopilot drive 1st week in Feb have so far been given 3 delivery dates, the first was 4 to 6 weeks from order, the last one three weeks ago said it was in depatch and I still havn't got it despite being in daily contact I cannot get a definite answer from them other than it will be made this week or next.
Like most of the major marine industry manufacturers the senior management couldn't organise the proverbial celebration in a brewery leaving their support staff to mop up the complaints and having to fabricate answers for others inefficiencies. Oh and despite three letters the last to the MD I have not had the courtesy of a reply or explanation.I should have known better 5 years ago it took nearly six months to get an ocean hatch.

QuestGirl

Visit site
I would have declined to give my credit card details too! Having ordered from the States before, I got a separate letter from FedEx asking for the import duties and I just sent them a cheque.

Endeavourquay

www.endeavourchandlery.co.uk
I paid for flights for my son and his friend on my credit card, I had a phonecall from America asking me to confirm my credit card details, I refused explaining that "all the details had been given online and that I would not give them again by phone, If they were genuine they would have them,"
The lady was stunned and checked with her supervisor then they issued the tickets.
I was told that it was the first time anyone had refused to give them details by phone, which I struggle to believe

smeaks

Visit site
i import spare at work from the us and have ebay'd there alot... I always get charged WHEN the stuff is delivered or picked up from the depot. You were right niot to give your details. If it was a cock up it wount hurt them to wait for snailmail to do its thing... I have had my visa card screwed twice and dont give out the details now unless its a life or death situatiuon or i am incredibly drunk!

trouville

N/A
Visit site
I would have refused!

The same thing happend to me with an order from the USA DHL delivered and demanded Duty i told them it was for my use and non due.

As they have a legal department and couldent care less in the 7 days they gave me to pay i took there duty charges to the customs office,first they said "that DHL" then looked again and went off to check.

DHL had added to taxes that were 0 % charging 14% & 21% i think? Those and another charge i deducted & sent them a cheque refering them to the customs office if they wanted more.

Alfie168

Visit site
I had a telesales call from the Halifax about a month ago offering me three months free health care cover. The sales patter was very good. To get the first three months free you had to sign up over the phone (without getting any key features etc)....And give your bank details for the DD.

Being a curmudgeon I declined, saying that I only had her word she was from the Halifax, the call was unsolicited, and if she were a criminal seeking my bank details then my own bank would disown me if I had freely given bank details to a complete stranger over the phone and lost money through it.

I was playing devils advocate, but she was not happy. Just go into a bank and see what proof of identity they want from you. Sauce for goose etc.

You did right.

Tim

AOWYN

www.clinksystems.com
Can you explain how importing an item for your own use meant that no duty was payable? It would be very useful to know as with the US$ at its present level many items are much cheaper in the USA and obviously anything I import for my boat is for my own use.