Ex Leigh Cockle Boat Renowned

chrisbailey

Visit site
Leigh cokle boat Renown 2 was a replacement for the original Renown that was lost returning from the evacuation of Dunkirk. It was renamed Renowned when it was converted to a private yacht.

My Cousin is the son of the original owner and when talking about it this week wondered where it is now.

Does anyone have any infomation that can help us trace its whereabouts.

Thanks

MoodySabre

Visit site
There is an interesting part of this film which is about George Osborne (Pie) on Renown catching cockles in the 1960s. Now that would have been Renown 3. Presumably you are trying to trace Renown 2 that they only owned for a year 1947 - 1948. Sorry, I know nothing of that.

chrisbailey

Visit site
Thank you Moodysabre the film was interesting as I havent seen it before. I had already found the ships station details but as you say it seems unlikely. I did find another reference to the actual boat being on the Deben but it was only brief with not enough to go on.
I actually saw the boat Renowned sailing off Ramsgate about ten years ago and she looked in good condition then. I will continue reserching.

MoodySabre

Visit site
If you think she was on the Deben once then you need to speak to George Collins the harbourmaster at Ramsholt. He has sat on his boat watching everything that passes since the dawn of civilization. For some odd reason I don't have his number but it will be along shortly.

Good hunting