Etquette

Amulet

www.flickr.com
The ones I really appreciate are those who offer a bit of help with the tedium at the end of the season decomissioning etc.

johnalison

Visit site
All I ever ask for from guests is that they should enjoy themselves & be good company. A cake is an excellent idea as booze is sometimes a bit tricky. And don't fall in.

tcm

Visit site
Hm. I think a nice bottle of malt is a about right, cos wine, i mean, you'll drink some or all of that. Whereas unless complete p*sshead you'll only have bit of the malt.

Mind you if he's gonna come on your boat in return, then taking something is just laying a blimmin present trip on him. But still nice of course.

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
it is precisely the inverse of going on a mobo

so you offer

scruttocks old badger breath ale (you would have have brought champagne but it would be showy to the adjacent swining mooring types)
you look longingly at long keeled boats if they have an AWB and say helpful things like
''i cannot see the attraction of teak deck or a gaff rig''
at the end of the trip you offer to buy him a new mainsail as it would be ruinously expensive to say yes, so he will not

when the boat heels you state loudly that it is so much nicer having to hang on tight to prevent falling in the brine.normally you would end up on the transom if you let go on your boat and the sea is a much softer landing at six knots rather than a davit through your arse

it also helps to mention when you reach six knots that you are amazed it can manage to go so sedately

point out you are bored of eletric pumps in heads

finally point out that it is lovely to experience the effect of tides and that last orders was the last thing on your mind.

sailorman

Visit site
Re: Etiquette

Chap goes into the confectioners shop
hello he says how much are the cakes
50 pence each says the owner
Oh says the Chap OK i think Ill have one of those pointing to what he had chosen.
the owner places the cake into a box & rings up a £1 the chap protested saying you said there all 50 pence each, yes said the owner but you chose Madeira cake /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

colingr

Visit site
Re: Etiquette

Well off we went. Firstly the clearing of the cabin as they had not been out for a bit. Then the starting of the engine. So far so good, everything worked! On with the kettle, off with the sail covers, sort out the bits of string (sorry sheets, and out we go. Rubbish at reversing aren't they!

Out through the lock (freeflow) and down the channel. Nice F3 right on the nose. Anyway eventually up go the flappy things and we settle down onto planing (whoops sorry, cruising speed) 4 knots and a couple of tacks later we were up to 5 knots and making more tea. There's a perverse pleasure in coaxing an extra bit of a knot by trimming sails isn't there. Not that I really knew what was being done all the time but I can see the fun in getting the max speed out of the boat for the conditions.

Past Sparkes and turn right up the channel .

Very pleasant being there all on our own but had to get back to catch the tide through the lock so off we go.

Smashing time spoilt only by a thug in a mobo. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Just as we were on the coachroof tidying up the sails some big smokey thing comes past as that horrible "just off the plane" speed that creates max wash. Luckily we spotted him and held on tight. Spilt some tea though. Apparently he's well known in the area.

A lovely day out and great company. Thanks Pete and Liz and Juno of Cowes for looking after us..

A bottle of beer, tidy up and a stroll round the marina before home for tea.

I can see the attraction, will definately do it again, but still want to keep my liitle speedy thing for fun as well.

Have got some ptoto evidence but it's still in the camera.

So I'm not a total convert but I'm definately up for another crack at it.

SO to start the week here's a mobo saying thank you to raggies everywhere for being nice people.

/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif