Eric Tabarly and Pen Duick

westhinder

Visit site
Nice to revisit this film, thanks for sharing.
His influence on yacht racing can’t be overestimated. The French racing scene, from mini’s via imoca’s to ultim trimarans owes its very existence largely to Eric Tabarly.
Yet he was a discreet, unassuming, soft spoken man. I had the pleasure to meet him, an hour I will always treasure.

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
Yet he was a discreet, unassuming, soft spoken man.

He was the nightmare of radio/tv journalists, he was capable of remaining silent for endless seconds, very embarassing for anyone who was interviewing him, inside the editorial boards they sometimes drew straws to decide who would meet him.
True there were not many journalists specialized in boating, questions could range bewteen "are you tired - did you sleep at night - do you miss your family when you are alone- and the like; after one of his neverending silences he even let out once "quelle question à la con" :D

westhinder

Visit site
He was the nightmare of radio/tv journalists, he was capable of remaining silent for endless seconds, very embarassing for anyone who was interviewing him, inside the editorial boards they sometimes drew straws to decide who would meet him.
True there were not many journalists specialized in boating, questions could range bewteen "are you tired - did you sleep at night - do you miss your family when you are alone- and the like; after one of his neverending silences he even let out once "quelle question à la con" :D
Indeed. I was a tv journalist at the time and I was well aware of his reputation but fortunately I met him away from cameras, not in a professional capacity :cool: