English Weather! is it really worth owning a boat?

Medskipper

Visit site
This has to be the worst summer so far in the last few years, and the last few years have been rubbish!! What the hell is going on? The wife hates any sea state worse than a 2-3! and every weekend is the same, very high winds and rain. My navtex was telling me 5-6 round the the north forland this weekend and last weekend was just as bad! I know people that turned around in sea reach on the thames and went back to the safety of St. Kats. because it was so bad!

I think I'll flog the boat, I can get a hell of a lot of trips to Spain for the amount it costs just to keep it let alone the value of the vessel!!

Barry

ari

Visit site
Depressing huh...?? Long range forecast today reads:

More rain!

The unsettled weather looks set to continue during this week. All of the UK can expect some heavy rain or showers at times, with temperatures often below the seasonal average. Usually in July the UK weather is strongly influenced by the Azores high pressure. This year it is stubbornly refusing to build northwards, meaning the conveyor belt of active weather systems coming from the Atlantic shows no signs of being cut off just yet. We are not expecting much of an improvement until the second half of July, with the best of this summers weather being saved for August.
Issued 08/07

DepSol

Visit site
Azores high keeps reaching us in Guernsey but not for long enough, just as it gets here it starts to fade

Dom

I just want my boat back in the water ;-(

G

Re: English Weather Sh*t

Barry could'nt agreed more, Wasted season in Brighton last year due to crap weather, my wife hates anything
above 1-2 so backup the Thames. I am coming into Chatham tomorrow what do you think its gonna be like
tomorrow (Tuesday) afternoon down your way ?

CGN

G

Well worth owning a boat

I will be selling the F'line and buying a rescue boat. 'Spect there's a truckload to be made rescuing homeowners from the floods...

peterg

Visit site
ah but the experts...

will tell you it's all to do with Global Warming.....b*ll*cks is it! this is obviously just God's retribution for us not being able to produce a decent cricket team or tennis player etc. so he figured if we can't do that when we have good summers then what's the point in us having them at all!

Seriously though, I have 3 main hobbies...motorcycling/boating/car racing which are all massively more enjoyable when it's warm, dry and sunny......so what the hell am I doing still living in England?

currently boatless

Canboria

Visit site

CGN

As I look out at the marina it is cold over cast and windy, if you are arriving tomorrow the forecast is much the same, take care entering the lock if its windy and the tide is running, its very open here and the winds can be quite gusty even in the marina

Have a good trip

Medskipper

Visit site
Well I hope you are right! I am on holiday in August, joining the MBM team on the Normandy cruise! so I'm going along the south coast to Portsmouth. If the weather is saving itself till August, it must be going to be fabulous because its got a lot of catching up to do!!!!!

Barry

Medskipper

Visit site

Sorry to say Clive but the forecast shows no improvement until later in the week! dont know if you have been up the Medway before? I guess you have, but watch out for wind over tide situations in the Thames estuary and when you are rounding Grain spit into the Medway! It can be a bit naughty!

Best of luck and hope to bump into you at Chatham

Barry

P.s. I might be down on Friday, but if not I will be there on Sunday, come and have a chat, I'm on B29. boat name Philae.

terence

Visit site
well barry my navtex said 5 to 6 in thames and i was taking part in the long wallet race when we got out there, it was less than a 1 and they had to shorten the course due to lack of wind ? plus i got bloody sun burnt as well!
these navtex gadgets and i have only had one for about 4 weeks are not very accurate you know ......good sailing terence

kghowe

Visit site
Solution to poor weather....

Buy a boat in the South of France. We're off tomorrow, cheap Easy flights, sea trial and survey and if all goes OK holidaying for two weeks mid August on said boat before trucked back to UK. At least we'll see some boating in the sun this way cause it don't look like its gonna happen over here. Had to turn back yesterday coming out of Langstone, big swell, wet and blowing, fed up etc..

tcm

Visit site
er, wrong way?

Why not leave it there? It'll be septemeber when it gets back, the props or the radar will be a damaged and the rain will leak in, then the inside of the boat will go rusty...

Medskipper

Visit site
Thanks for that Terry, but the wife made me buy it so she can make sure she wont let me out of the harbour unless it says blowing 2-3 or less !! on account that she gets very upset when the boat is going up and down like crazy !!!

If I tell her its all lies and they dont know what they are talking about, who do you think shes going to beleive?? certainly not me coz I always say ah dont worry its not that bad and then we usually motor into a force 5-6 and she goes nuts !!
Sell this Bl**dy boat and let get a bigger house and all that sort of rubbish that us brave sea hardy guys have to put up with !!!

Barry

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
I\'m currently boatless.....

and not really regretting it too much this summer. I reckon JFM has the right idea, get a third share in something decent and keep it in the med.

When my son gets a little bigger I fancy something like a 2 or 3 year old Targa 34 kept in Majorca or SofF. £40,000 for each third share and about £3k p.a. running costs, perhaps reduced by a few skippered charters. Can't go wrong.

oldgit

Visit site
Just an observation but it does rain now and then in the UK and mostly at weekends.
Perhaps one of the factors that should be born in mind is the location of your boat and the ability to be able use it when the weather is good ie during the evenings or at very short notice.
I appreciate that sometimes if you live miles from the water this is a problem but if perhaps you feel that attractions of the clubhouse/240v mains power/showers/shopping mall at a fashionable marina which is miles away from home is better than the scruffy boat yard just down the road,then your boat is not going to be used very often.

And the weather for the weekend is...............

Medskipper

Visit site
I understand what you mean, but anyone living in the home counties just has to travel if they want to use their boat at sea! I live in Surrey so unless I use my boat on the upper reaches of the Thames (which I did for a number of years) the only option is the coast and a 50-60 miles journey to it!

Barry

I just want to retire with my boat to the Med!

hlb

RIP
Visit site
You poor bugger. Nearest decent water I've got is 300 bloody miles away. Less you count the canal at Accrington!!

No one can force me to come here-----------
----- I'm a Volunteer!!!

Haydn

G

Can't we just lobby the Government and have the weekend redefined as Tuesday and Wednesday?